Financial Assistance

County & State Administered Programs

County Government Offices Community Resources for information on medical assistance, cash support and food support, contact your local county office.

Medical Assistance for Employed Persons with Disability (MA-EPD)

  • To qualify for MA-EPD, you must be a Minnesota resident who is working or self-employed, paying Social Security and Medicare taxes, and earning more than $65 per month. (If you are self-employed, your earnings are your self-employment income minus business expenses and self-employment taxes.)
  • You must be certified disabled by the Social Security Administration (SSA) or the State Medical Review Team (SMRT) and you must have less than $20,000 in assets.
  • You must not be eligible for standard Medical Assistance (MA) without a spenddown.
  • Contact your local county human service office for more information.

Med Eligible Services | 763-585-8400

  • Allina Health partners with Med Eligible Services to provide assistance to apply for Medical Assistance to patients who are un/ underinsured. If you need help applying for Medical Assistance, your social worker may refer you to Med Eligible Services for assistance.

MN Department of Human Services: Overview of eligibility rules, benefits and application process for home and community services and support. Programs and services / Minnesota Department of Human Services (

Free Tax Preparation Sites

Federally Administered Programs

Social Security | 1-800-772-1213

  • Medicare Information
  • Supplemental Security Income;
  • Social Security Disability;

Benefits for People with Disabilities The federal government has two programs for assistance to individuals that meet the criteria and qualify for benefits. | 1-800-772-1213

  • Social Security Disability Insurance pays benefits to you and certain members of your family if you are "insured," meaning that you worked long enough and paid Social Security taxes.
  • Supplemental Security Income pays benefits based on financial need.

USA Gov - Financial Assistance and Support Services for People with Disabilities. Explore a wide range of programs and tools to help with housing, taxes, medical bills, service and emotional support animals, and more. Get help with medical bills, modifying vehicle, housing resources, service animals, tax help.... 1-844-USA-GOV1

Minnesota Department of Veteran Affairs | 651-296-2562 |