Resident and staff physicians have access 24/7. Changes to these hours during holidays are posted on signs throughout Hennepin Healthcare, and on the website.
The Medical Library Services support patient care, education and research activities of Hennepin Healthcare by providing quality cost-effective resources and services that enhance the mission and vision of the medical center community, including clinicians, staff, patients and family members.
Medical Library Services is conveniently located on the second (skyway) level of the Red Building, not far from the Cafeteria. The front study area welcomes staff, patients and family members seeking medical information with print and online resources available.
The back study space welcomes hospital staff and students needing computer access, materials for research, or a place for quiet discussion and collaboration in enclosed group study rooms.
Collection and Facilities
- More than 7,000 books, audiovisual materials and journals are available and can be quickly located through our computer catalog.
- Access to over 1000 full-text online journals and over 90 online books.
- Access to over a dozen online databases such as Medline, CINAHL (nursing literature), EMBASE (European database), PsycInfo, LexiComp, and Micromedex is available from workstations throughout the Medical Center.
- Our computer areas include a variety of audiovisual hardware, software, and computer resources such as word processing, graphics, spreadsheet, databases, electronic reference sources, scanner, and Internet access.
- Small group study rooms are available for group collaboration.
- A self-service photocopier and two scanners are also located in the computer area.
- A variety of popular magazines and the daily newspaper are available.
- Hennepin Healthcare has one of the largest hospital print and electronic collections in the Twin Cities.
- Our Librarian is available to conduct or consult with you on literature searches.
- Training and consultation in the use of our databases, our computer catalog, and other information sources are available upon request. Please do not hesitate to ask library staff for assistance in database searching or access to electronic journals and books.
- Interlibrary loan service is available for books or journals not currently owned.
- Audiovisual equipment is available for borrowing
Hennepin Healthcare currently offers free-standing residency programs and fellowships that provide 280 resident physicians with clinical experience serving a broad mix of patients from diverse cultural and socio-economic backgrounds. These patients are drawn primarily from a population area of one million which includes the City of Minneapolis.