Long Term Home Visiting: Healthy Families America
The Healthy Families America program provides support and encouragement to new parents by recognizing their strengths and sharing information during home visits to the new family. By building confidence, reducing stress, and maximizing the joys of being parents, Healthy Families America helps parents and children grow together.
- Parenting is the most difficult and important job anyone will ever have.
- All parents need support and encouragement.
- Parents deserve a voice in deciding what their needs are and what services and programs will help them.
- Information on child development, bonding, discipline, health issues and community resources is useful to all parents.
Why choose us?
Babies begin learning at birth – the first three years are the most critical to their future learning. The first three years are also when children learn to trust and develop attachments.
We believe parents need the most current information on how babies grow, change, and develop. Our services are free.
Through weekly visits with the participating family, information is provided about:
- Assistance in linking families to community resources
- “Baby-proofing” your home
- Benefits of breastfeeding
- Child developmental screenings
- Diet, nutrition, and exercise
- Discovering what to expect as your child grows
- Pregnancy, infant care, and postpartum care
- Problem-solving advice
- Recognizing and caring for your baby’s needs
- Ways to continue your education
- Ways to play with your baby to encourage normal development
- Assistance in developing personal goals and plans to reach them
Families must meet these criteria:
- You live in Hennepin County.
- You are expecting a baby or have an infant less than three months old.
- You are interested in child development and related issues.
Fill out and submit the online referral form. A Healthy Families America nurse will contact you quickly.