Helping Patients and Families
Patient and family partners help patients and their families find healthcare resources.
Patient and Family Partners
The patient/family is considered to be the focus of the health care delivery system at Hennepin County Medical Center. The family includes immediate family members and/or designated significant others as identified by the patient. The inclusion of the patient/family will enhance communication with the organization and improve patient satisfaction in a collaborative venture.
The Patient and Family Partners offer input into patient care and organization processes and advocates patient/family needs from a broad perspective. The Patient and Family Partner may participate in activities such as:
- Medical Center Committees
- Excellence Councils
- Focus Groups
- Experience Based Design Teams
- Policy development
- Other designated committees or projects related to patient care
- The Patient Partner is encouraged to identify patient safety issues.
- The Patient and Family Partner can expect to have processes/terminology explained as needed, and debriefing after each meeting if requested.
- The Patient and Family Partner will be given the name and contact information for an organization contact.
- The Patient and Family Partner will be formally on-boarded as applicable.
- The Patient and Family Partner will be listened to and respected for their insight and suggestions.
- The Patient and Family Partner can expect a safe environment to discuss concerns.
- The Patient and Family Partner is requested to attend meetings or provide other input on a regular basis. Participation is voluntary and may be withdrawn at any time with notice. A minimum of a one-year commitment is desired.
- The Patient Partner and Family may be invited to attend educational sessions.
- The Patient and Family Partner will maintain the confidentiality of patient and organizational sensitive information.
- The Patient and Family Partner will complete HIPAA privacy training and sign a confidentiality form.
- The Patient and Family Partner will wear a name badge stating ‘Patient Partner’ as applicable after a background check in completed by HCMC Security Department.
- Committee members can recommend potential Patient and Family Partners who can be former adult patients or members of the community from diverse populations.