Commitment to Patient-Centered Care
“Doing surgery and taking care of the sickest patients in our urban trauma hospital is what I do every day. For patients and families, being sick or needing surgery can be an overwhelming experience. It is my goal that they feel comfortable and confident with their care. Every day I do my best to provide information, guidance and ample time for discussion as we work together to find the best care plan for each patient.”
While Dr. Marek has broad experience in general surgery with special training in trauma and ICU care, she has a clinical interest in thyroid and parathyroid surgery as well as complex abdominal hernia repair.
- Marek AP, Morancy JD, Chipman JG, Nygaard RM, Roach RM, Loor MM. Long-term functional outcome after thoracic and lumbar spine fractures. Am Surg. 2018 Jan 1;84(1):20-27
- Holl E, Nygaard RM, Marek AP, Richardson CJ, Hess D. Use of Chest CT for Blunt Pediatric Chest Trauma: Does it change clinical course? Pediatric Emergency Care. (In press, Pediatric Emergency Care accepted for publication 9/9/17).
- Nygaard RM, Marek AP, Daly SR, Van Camp JM. Violent Trauma Recidivism: Does all Violence Escalate? Eur J Trauma Emerg Surg (2017). doi:10.1007/s00068-017-0787-5.
- Marek AP, Deisler RF, Sutherland JB, Punjabi G, Richardson CJ, Krook JC, Ney AL. CT Scan-detected pneumoperitoneum: An unreliable predictor of gastrointestinal tract perforation in blunt trauma. Injury 2014;45(1);116-121.
- Marek AP. The Use of Shunts in the Management of Extremity Vascular Trauma. Approaches in Critical Care. Vol 11. Fall 2014
- University of North Dakota School of Medicine & Health Sciences, Grand Forks, ND, USA
- Surgery, Hennepin Healthcare, Minneapolis, MN, USA
- Surgical Critical Care, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN, USA
- American College of Surgeons
- Alpha Omega Alpha medical honor society
- Society of Critical Care Medicine
- Association for Program Directors in Surgery
- Board certified in general surgery by the American Board of Surgery
- Board certified in surgical critical care by the American Board of Surgery
- Affiliate Assistant Professor of Surgery, University of Minnesota
- Minnesota Monthly’s Top Doctors, 2017-2018
“Traveling is my passion outside of medicine, although I enjoy living in Minneapolis and the culture and activities it has to offer.”