Commitment to Patient-Centered Care
“Dr. Fisher’s commitment to effective patient care is reflected in the nonjudgmental, goals-driven approach he assumes in developing a therapeutic partnership with the clients he sees.”
Dr. Fisher is a Senior Psychology Postdoctoral Fellow in the Department of Psychiatry. Dr. Fisher earned his doctorate in Clinical Psychology from Jackson State University in Jackson, Mississippi. He has broad experience in the treatment of trauma and chemical dependence from his training in a state hospital, community mental health, and forensic settings. Dr. Fisher completed his Predoctoral Internship at the G.V. (Sonny) Montgomery VA Medical Center, where he conducted treatment and assessments with Veterans in outpatient and residential programs for alcohol/substance use, depression, anxiety, and PTSD. Dr. Fisher’s clinical interests include health disparities among populations in the United States. He completed his dissertation research on posttraumatic symptoms associated with perceived racial discrimination.
- Moore, M. T., Dawkins, M. R., Fisher, J. W., & Fresco, D. M. (2015). Depressive realism and attributional style: Replication and extension. International Journal of Cognitive Therapy, 9(1), 1-12. doi: 10.1521/ijct_2016_09_03.
- Fisher, J., Sims, M., & Kafoury, R. (2015, November). Perceived Racial Discrimination and Harmful Lifestyle Choices in the Jackson Heart Study: Age-Related Externalized Stress Responses and Their Influence on Substance Use. Poster and abstract for the Fifty-Seventh Annual Convention of the Association for Behavioral and Cognitive Therapies, Chicago, IL.
- American Psychological Association (APA), 2009 – present
- Minnesota Psychological Association (MPA), 2019 – present
- Association for Contextual Behavioral Science (ACBS), 2016 – present
- Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.), Clinical Psychology, Jackson State University, Jackson, MS
- Master of Arts (M.A.), Psychology, New York University, New York, NY
- Bachelor of Science (B.S.), Secondary Education, English, Clarion State University, Clarion, PA
“In his free time, Dr. Fisher enjoys hiking, camping, and spending time with his family.”