Sara Love, PhD
Commitment to Patient-Centered Care
“Laboratory Medicine and Pathology is one of the departments that interacts, either directly or indirectly, with almost every patient receiving care at Hennepin County Medical Center. As a clinical laboratory director, I am passionate about providing fast, accurate, reliable, and cost-effective laboratory testing to our patients. I provide information and guidance to patients and providers to ensure they get the right test for the right patient at the right time.”
Dr. Love is a chemist specializing in both clinical chemistry and toxicology. She earned a Bachelor’s of Arts in Chemistry degree with a Forensic Science certification from Hamline University in St. Paul. She went on to complete her Doctoral training in Chemistry at the University of Minnesota, focused on examining the toxicity of noble metal nanoparticles in mammalian cells using electrochemistry. Dr. Love went on to complete her Post-Doctoral Fellowship in Clinical Chemistry at Hennepin County Medical Center, where she continued her research training working on projects focused on forensic toxicology and cardiac biomarkers.
- Love SA, Apple FS. Cardiac Troponin Serial Ordering Recommendations: For Today and Tomorrow. Clin Lab News. May 2014.
- Rodriguez Fraga O, Sandoval Y, Love SA, McKinney ZJ, Murakami MM, Smith SW, Apple FS. Cardiac Troponin Testing is Overused After the Rule-in or Rule-out of Myocardial Infarction. Clin Chem. 2015; 61, 436-438.
- Love SA, McKinney ZJ, Sandoval Y, Kohler R, Smith SW, Murakami MM, Apple FS, Evidence of Inappropriate Utilization of Cardiac Troponin Order Sets After Initiation of a Provider Alert Prompt in Electronic Health Record, Clin Chem. 2015; 61: 498-504.
- Sandoval Y, Smith SW, Schulz K, Murakami MM, Love SA, Nicholson J, Apple FA. Diagnosis of Type 1 and Type 2 Myocardial Infarction Using a High-Sensitivity Cardiac Troponin I Assay with Gender-Specific 99th Percentiles Based on the Third Universal Definition of Myocardial Infarction Classification System. Clin Chem. 2015; 61: 657-663.
- Love SA, Sandoval Y, Apple FS. Incorporating high-sensitivity cardiac troponin assays into clinical practice: these assays are your friend. Heart & Metabolism. 2015; 67: 9-14.
- Clinical Chemistry, Hennepin Healthcare, Minneapolis, MN, USA
- Academy of Clinical Laboratory Physicians and Scientists
- American Academy for the Advancement of Science
- American Association for Clinical Chemistry
- American Chemical Society
- American Heart Association
- American Society for Mass Spectrometry
“When I have free time, I enjoy biking, hiking, camping, yoga, and games with my family and friends. I’m also an avid fan of crafting (from knitting to beer), Minnesota sports at the collegiate and professional level, and partaking in the everchanging food and craft beer scene around the Twin Cities.”