Volunteer Program: Emergency Department
About the Program
The Emergency Department Patient Experience & Enrichment Program (ED PEER) volunteers assist patients and staff in an emergency department setting. The ED PEER volunteer position is a rewarding and valuable experience for participants.
The following roles are available to ED PEER Program members:
- Team Center Volunteer - Round on patients, answer call lights, assist ED personnel in maintaining an efficient and welcoming environment
- Triage/Triage Treatment Volunteer - Assist triage nurses with patients waiting to be seen, escort patients to rooms in ED, assist with visitors and families, round on patients
- Experienced ED PEER volunteers have the opportunity to train for:
- Room Recorder - Record events as they happen in the Stabilization Room
- Potential leadership opportunities within the ED PEER program
- Opportunity to attend an educational weekly conference with nurses and medical staff
- Other tasks and special projects as needed
Why ED PEER?
In comparison to other hospital emergency department volunteer programs in the Twin Cities, the Hennepin Healthcare ED PEER program offers a more inclusive immersion into the environment of an emergency department. Hennepin Healthcare is Minnesota’s premier Level One Trauma Center and the busiest emergency department in the state. The ED PEER Program encompasses approximately 100 volunteers who are assigned to different areas throughout the emergency department and work closely with staff, patients, and other volunteers.
Volunteer Selection Procedure
Volunteers should apply online, provide two letters of reference, a background check, and a health screening. Informal interviews will then be conducted with the program coordinators. Applicants will not be invited to interview until they have completed all of the application requirements.
ED PEER Program members will be required to attend orientation sessions scheduled by the Program Coordinator. To complete the orientation volunteers will take part in a 4-hour shadow shift with an ED Health Care Assistant (HCA) or experienced ED PEER Volunteer in the emergency department.
- Commitment of 4 hours per week, for a minimum of 60 hours during each semester session
- Maintain work schedule online
- Stay current on mandatory training and remain up-to-date with health and vaccine requirements
- $10 hospital uniform fee
- High school diploma or G.E.D.
- 18 years of age at the time of application
- No felony convictions. Must successfully pass a background investigation.
- Complete the health screening process, as detailed below
Volunteer Services Office
Green Building, Level 1, Room 190
900 South 8th Street
Minneapolis, MN 55415
Applications are currently being accepted. The process is outlined below, beginning with the online application form. Reference letters and all other application material should be emailed to [email protected].
Fill out and submit the online form:
Fill out the following forms. Sign and email these forms [email protected].
ED PEER Coordinator
701 Park Avenue, Mail Code R2
Minneapolis, MN, 55415-1829
- Pre-Placement Health Screening Forms (PDF)
- Volunteer Self Reference Letter (Word)
- Letter of Understanding (PDF)
Application Process Details
If you have any issues creating your account, please contact Employee Health directly at 612-873-2383.