Volunteer Program: Emergency Department
About the Program
The Emergency Department Patient Experience & Enrichment Program (ED PEER) volunteers assist patients and staff in an emergency department setting. The ED PEER volunteer position is a rewarding and valuable experience for participants.
The following roles are available to ED PEER Program members:
- Team Center Volunteer - Round on patients, answer call lights, assist ED personnel in maintaining an efficient and welcoming environment
- Triage/Triage Treatment Volunteer - Assist triage nurses with patients waiting to be seen, escort patients to rooms in ED, assist with visitors and families, round on patients
- Experienced ED PEER volunteers have the opportunity to train for:
- Room Recorder - Record events as they happen in the Stabilization Room
- Potential leadership opportunities within the ED PEER program
- Opportunity to attend an educational weekly conference with nurses and medical staff
- Other tasks and special projects as needed
Why ED PEER?
In comparison to other hospital emergency department volunteer programs in the Twin Cities, the Hennepin Healthcare ED PEER program offers a more inclusive immersion into the environment of an emergency department. Hennepin Healthcare is Minnesota’s premier Level One Trauma Center and the busiest emergency department in the state. The ED PEER Program encompasses approximately 100 volunteers who are assigned to different areas throughout the emergency department and work closely with staff, patients and other volunteers.
Volunteer Selection Procedure
Volunteers should apply online, provide two letters of reference, a background check, and a health screening. Informal interviews will then be conducted with the program coordinators. Applicants will not be invited to interview until they have completed all of the application requirements.
ED PEER Program members will be required to attend orientation sessions scheduled by the Program Coordinator. To complete the orientation volunteers will take part in a 4-hour shadow shift with an ED Health Care Assistant (HCA) or experienced ED PEER Volunteer in the emergency department.
- Commitment of 4 hours per week, for a minimum of 60 hours during each semester session
- Maintain work schedule online
- Stay current on mandatory training and remain up-to-date with health and vacccine requirements
- $10 hospital uniform fee
- High school diploma or G.E.D.
- 18 years of age at the time of application
- No felony convictions. Must successfully pass a background investigation.
- Complete the health screening process, as detailed below
Volunteer Services Office
Green Building, Level 1, Room 190
900 South 8th Street
Minneapolis, MN 55415
Applications are currently being accepted. The process is outlined below, beginning with the online application form. Reference letters should be either mailed directly to the ED PEER Coordinator from the person writing the letter or emailed to [email protected]. All other application materials should be printed, completed, and mailed to the ED PEER Coordinator at the listed address or emailed to the ED PEER Coordinators listed at the bottom of the page.
Fill out and submit the online form:
Print and fill out the following forms. Sign and send these forms to the ED PEER office using the mailing address below or scan and email them to the ED PEER Coordinators.
ED PEER Coordinator
701 Park Avenue, Mail Code R2
Minneapolis, MN, 55415-1829
- Pre-Placement Health Screening Forms (PDF)
- Volunteer Applicant Reference Letter (print two copies, one for each reference)
- Letter of Understanding (PDF)
Application Process Details
After Turning in Complete Health Screening
- Access your secure and private My Health webpage.
- Follow the instructions to create a username and password.
- Click "Create a New Account" and follow the instructions. You will need the following information:
- Organizational 4-digit Code: 2427
- Program Type: 4. HCMC Volunteer/ Other non-Employee
- Population type*: Volunteer
Make sure to record the User Name you create. This will remain your User Name for any health screening needs throughout your time with HCMC.
If you have any issues creating your account, please contact Employee Health directly at 612-873-2383.