Mother-Baby Day Hospital
The HCMC Mother-Baby Day Hospital is the 1st of its kind in Minnesota and only the 4th in the country. It is a Partial Hospitalization Program for pregnant women and mothers of children ages 0-5 years old who are experiencing symptoms of depression, anxiety, bipolar disorder or other emotional distress that make it difficult to:
- Function at home or at work
- Take care of themselves or their baby
- Bond and connect with their baby
Partial Hospitalization simply means a higher level of support when mental health symptoms are worsening and affecting daily life more significantly. Also, medication consultation with a perinatal psychiatrist or other provider is included in the program. At the Mother-Baby Day Hospital, pregnant women and mothers receive five (5) hours of group psychotherapy and education, Monday-Thursday. A powerful aspect of the program is the opportunity to connect with other women who are also going through a difficult time. Most women attend the program for 4 weeks.
The Mother-Baby Day Hospital provides individualized treatment and helps you to:
- Get necessary mental health treatment while supporting you in your parenting role;
- Talk with other women who have similar experiences;
- Receive treatment from doctors and therapists that have specialized training and can help you consider treatment options during pregnancy and while breastfeeding;
- In some cases, partial hospitalization may be used as a step down from an inpatient mental health stay or instead of an inpatient mental health stay, when medically appropriate.
Mothers with babies less than 12 months old are encouraged to bring their baby with them to the Day Hospital. Babies can be with their mothers or sleep in the nursery that is connected to the group room.
- Group psychotherapy
- Individual psychotherapy
- Couples and family psychotherapy
- Support for mother-baby bonding and connection including Circle of Security Parenting
- Health education on topics such as the transition to motherhood, grief and loss, infant massage, sleep, and relaxation and mindfulness
- Medication evaluation and management
Individual appointments with a lactation consultant or infant feeding and growth specialist can be scheduled as needed.
- Arrive and get yourself and baby settled in group room
- Participate in morning and afternoon group psychotherapy, with support for caring for baby when needed
- Lunch in group room with other moms and babies (volunteer baby holders often available)
- Weekly individual psychotherapy with therapist
- Appointment with perinatal psychiatrist 1-3 times per week
- Family session with partner or other significant support person before or after Day Hospital
- Support for making connections with outpatient treatment after discharge
In the Mother-Baby Day Hospital and Perinatal Outpatient Program, we want all babies, pregnant women, and mothers to be protected and supported. We ask that mothers follow the recommended schedule of vaccinations for their child ages 3 months to 12 months, as put forth by the American Academy of Pediatrics and the CDC. Review the recommended schedule.