Brain Injury Prevention
Not all brain injuries can be prevented. However, you can reduce your risk by using safe strategies and eliminating potential hazards:
- Don't drink and drive.
- Never shake an infant or child.
- Wear your seatbelt. Make sure everyone in the car is buckled up.
- Wear a helmet when riding a bicycle, motorcycle or ATV, while rollerblading, skateboarding, snowboarding or skiing.
- At home, use handrails on stairways and remove tripping hazards. Falls are a leading cause of brain injuries.
- Seek medical attention if you feel dizzy or have lost consciousness during a sports or recreational activity.
Visit our trauma prevention page for more information, resources and tips. Hennepin Healthcare, as a Level I Adult Trauma Center and Level I Pediatric Trauma Center, actively educates, promotes and participates in trauma prevention programs.