Vaccine Mobile: A Partnership with the Department of Pediatrics and Hennepin EMS to vaccinate children in our community.
We meet families where they are.
The COVID-19 pandemic caused a dramatic decline in childhood immunizations putting the community at risk for vaccine preventable diseases such as measles or whooping cough. Many families were reluctant or hesitant to come into clinic. The Vaccine Mobile began in May 2020 to provide essential childhood vaccinations and healthcare for Hennepin Healthcare families where they live.
Even as time has passed, we understand that barriers to healthcare are challenging for some families. To meet these needs, our work has expanded, and we continue provide vaccines and basic healthcare services through mobile outreach to patient's homes and in our community pop-up clinics.
Our Vaccine Mobile team consists of a nurse practitioner or pediatrician, community paramedic, and a resident. The team goes out into the community, providing services to Hennepin Healthcare families where they live. We provide vaccinations and high-quality patient care, prioritize safety, strict infection prevention measures are followed, and our staff work to help families find a medical home.
Vaccinations include those recommended for children and teens such as measles and whooping cough, and we can provide COVID-19 vaccine for children 5 years and older. We are also able to give influenza and COVID-19 vaccinations to interested family and household members.
During the visit, children can expect to:
- Receive a brief health exam, including weight, height, and temperature
- Receive the immunizations appropriate for the child's age
- COVID-19 vaccine for ages 5 years and older
- COVID-19 vaccine to family and household members
- Address any acute health needs
- Have blood drawn for basic labs such as hemoglobin or lead if needed
- Receive books from Reach Out and Read and supplies such as cloth masks and digital thermometers
- If needed, receive a food bag from Every Meal and a referral to Second Harvest Heartland