Black Men with Stethoscopes Youth Summit
Over the past few years, the Association of American Medical Colleges found that only 3% of total U.S. Medical School applicants self-identified as Black men. In the 2020-2021 applicant pool, only 8% of those who accepted and enrolled identified as Black.
How do we increase the number of Black people, specifically Black men, in the field of medicine?
At the Black Men with Stethoscopes Youth Summit, young men ages 12 - 18 will:
- Meet and hear from Black healthcare professionals
- Engage in hands-on activities using real medical equipment
- Tour Hennepin Healthcare's downtown campus
We want to connect youth to high quality work-based learning opportunities, and to create access to a network of Black healthcare professionals. Our mission is to increase the participation of Black men in medicine. In order to do this, we will:
- Cultivate interest
- Provide opportunities to grow and develop skills
- Develop and deepen networks of support