Patients & Visitors
With a 484 bed hospital, Level I Adult and Pediatric Trauma Center and Clinic & Specialty Center, the HCMC campus is at the heart of medical care in downtown Minneapolis.
Hennepin Healthcare has eight convenient clinics located throughout Hennepin County, offering primary care, specialty care and a variety of other services to meet your healthcare needs.
We recognize the important role of family and loved ones in the health and well being of patients. We encourage visitors to participate as members of the care team to enhance the patient’s hospital experience, however, visitors must abide by the current COVID-19 Visitor Restrictions and Guidelines.
Working with the health care team, patients coordinate their own visitation and decide who they want to visit and when. Visitors may include spouses, domestic partners (including same-sex domestic partners), family members, or friends. The hospital will not restrict, limit, or otherwise deny the family presence or visitation privileges on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or disability.
One visitor or support person is allowed to remain in the patient’s hospital room overnight. Please discuss accommodations with the nursing staff. There are also many hotels in the surrounding area. We keep a list of hotels that are either within walking distance of the hospital or that provide free shuttle transportation, as well as a hospital discount.
Visitors have the responsibility to:
- Cancel or delay their visit, if possible, if they have a cold, cough, fever, or other illness.
- Supervise their children while visiting. Children under 18 must be with an adult other than the patient at all times.
- Check with a nurse if they want to bring food or beverages for you, and ask a nurse where to store leftover or uneaten food.
- Food should not be left in your room.
- Wash their hands when they come to see you. There is hand sanitizer in all rooms.
- Wear a visitor pass when required. Please check with the nurse for any specific visitation guidelines on the unit.
Visitors must wear a pass between 6 pm and 6 am throughout the hospital. Passes are always required in the Emergency Department and some inpatient units. Passes are issued by Welcome Services staff at the Red 1 Welcome Desk or the Security Control Center at the entrance to the Emergency Department.
On evenings and weekends, please use the Red Building entrance at 730 South 8th Street to enter the medical center.