Patients & Visitors
Welcome to Hennepin Healthcare! We're an integrated system of care with locations in Minneapolis and surrounding communities. Our downtown campus, HCMC, offers inpatient care, emergency and urgent care, our Clinic and Specialty Center and more. Our neighborhood clinics provide convenient access to primary and specialty care in communities throughout Hennepin County.
With a 484 bed hospital, Level I Adult and Pediatric Trauma Center and Clinic & Specialty Center, the HCMC campus is at the heart of medical care in downtown Minneapolis.
Hennepin Healthcare has eight convenient clinics located throughout Hennepin County, offering primary care, specialty care and a variety of other services to meet your healthcare needs.
Visiting the Downtown Campus
Hennepin Healthcare recognizes the important role of the family and loved ones in the health and well being of patients. We encourage visitors to participate as members of the care team to enhance the patient’s hospital experience and ensure the delivery of safe and patient-centered care.
At Hennepin Healthcare, we welcome family members and visitors at any time. In collaboration with the health care team, patients coordinate their own visitation and decide who they want to visit and when. Visitors may include spouses, domestic partners (including same-sex domestic partners), family members, or friends. The hospital will not restrict, limit, or otherwise deny family presence or visitation privileges on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or disability. Please know that there may be times when we need to limit visitation for your health and safety or the well-being of other patients.
One visitor/support person is allowed to remain in the patient’s hospital room overnight. Please discuss accommodations with the nursing staff. There are also many hotels in the surrounding area. HCMC keeps a list of hotels that are either within walking distance of the hospital or that provide free shuttle transportation and a hospital discount.
Visitors have the responsibility to:
- Cancel or delay their visit, if possible, if they have a cold, cough, fever, or other illness.
- Supervise their children while visiting. Children under 18 must be with an adult other than the patient at all times.
- Check with a nurse if they want to bring food or beverages for you, and ask a nurse where to store leftover or uneaten food.
- Food should not be left in your room.
- Wash their hands when they come to see you. There is hand sanitizer in most rooms.
- Wear a visitor pass when required. Please check with the nurse for any specific visitation guidelines on the unit.
Visitors must wear a pass between 11 pm and 6 am throughout the hospital, and passes are always required in the Emergency Department and some other inpatient units. Passes are issued by Security staff at the Red 1 Welcome Desk or the Security Control Center at the entrance to the Emergency Department.
On evenings and weekends, please use the Red Building entrance at 730 South 8th Street to enter the medical center.
At our main campus, we offer many services and amenities to make your visit as comfortable and convenient as possible. Please refer to the links below for more information about:
- how to get here and where to park, including our discounted parking options for patients and visitors
- where to eat while you are here
- where to buy gifts, balloons, flowers, and Hennepin Healthcare logo items
- where to stay in town
- where to pick up your prescription medications
- how to find your way around campus
- how to get connected to the Internet while you are here, and much more.