Supply Chain Management
Quality products that are safe and cost-effective
Supply Chain Management provides quality products that are safe and cost-effective to Hennepin Healthcare's patients, families, and staff. We are committed to designing and managing a seamless, value-added supply chain by collaborating with our suppliers, customers, and the community.
The Purchasing Department provides all products and services for Hennepin Healthcare and its affiliates. Purchasing manages all relationships with vendors and suppliers and defines rules in how to conduct business with Hennepin Healthcare and vendors.
We are committed:
- To source the best product at the best possible price
- To maintain the availability of products at the minimum inventory and operating investment
- To ensure a fair and unbiased process
- To encouraging supplier diversity
We actively monitor marketplace conditions for over 54,000 products. We conduct quarterly business reviews with our suppliers and end-users.
Central Processing reprocesses reusable medical/surgical instruments and supplies in a manner that is safe, effective and follows recommendations set forth by governing agencies. Central Processing serves all Hennepin Healthcare clinics, nursing stations, operating rooms, and affiliates. The department has specialized expertise in providing clean and sterile medical/surgical supplies and equipment to patient care areas.
The Central Processing Department is divided into four major areas to decontaminate, assemble and sterilize products for storage and distribution.
- In the decontamination area, reusable equipment, instruments, and supplies are cleaned and decontaminated by means of manual or mechanical cleaning processes and chemical disinfection.
- Clean items are received in the assembly and packaging area from the decontamination area and are then assembled and prepared for issue, storage, or further processing (like sterilization).
- After assembly or sterilization, items are transferred to the sterile storage area until it is time for them to be issued.
- Several major functions are carried out in the distribution area: case cart preparation and delivery; exchange cart inventory, replenishment, and delivery; telephone-order and requisition-order filling; and, sometimes, patient care equipment delivery.
Strategic Sourcing and Contract Management
The Strategic Sourcing Department provides leadership and direction of product utilization/analysis, spend/supplier analytics, contracting, and sourcing processes to achieve the Supply Chain Management (SCM) goals and objectives of the organization.
The department is responsible for total cost supply reductions (non-labor) through product acquisition cost, standardization, utilization in the supply chain, as well as using best practices to reduce cost and improve patient outcomes.
The Strategic Sourcing Department ensures a standardized competitive negotiation process (RFx) including associated documentation to support any contractual or legal matters.
The Strategic Sourcing Department provides technology, process audits, and improvements in contracting/sourcing, and evaluates contract compliance, provides rebate and price management, as well as contracting analytics when needed. The department maintains collaborative relationships with clinical, administrative, the Medical Center’s staff, suppliers, GPO, and Purchasing to identify opportunities for process improvement, better customer service, development policies and procedures, development of key reporting tools, and the implementation of best practices.
Logistics direct, receive, store and distribute products, mail, and materials across the organization. Logistics handles Periodic Automated Replenishment (PAR) management for all our clinical areas. Logistics uses Kanban as an organizational tool to maintain an orderly and efficient flow of materials and supplies. The goal is to allow a standardized work process based on “pull”, which serves as a continual quality improvement tool to eliminate wasted time, space, overstocking and inventory expense.
Logistics distributes over 30,000 items to 135 locations inside the hospital and to all outside clinics and affiliates.
Logistics operates 365 days a year on a 14X7 hour basis.