Medical Records / Health Information Management
Health Information Management (HIM) Services staff
- Maintains, stores, accesses, and delivers patients' medical records and releases information as authorized by the patient
- Assists physicians in meeting medical record documentation requirements
- Assigns a code number to diagnoses and procedures for use in billing, research, and quality assurance
- Assists with identifying patients and retrieving records for research studies and audits
- Assists with the release of information requests from patients, health care providers, insurance companies, attorneys, disability services, police departments, and a variety of other authorized requestors.
Request for Amendments to your Health Information
You have the right to request amendments to your health information if you feel the records are incorrect or incomplete. If you wish to have your health information corrected or updated, please submit a written request to Hennepin Healthcare’s HIM department. Tell us what you want to be changed and why. We will respond to you in writing. If we deny your request, we will explain why, and you will have an opportunity to appeal that denial.
Where to Request Birth Certificates
To make changes to the birth certificate, call 651-201-5970 or visit the MN Department of Health Birth Record Amendments website for more information.
Frequently Asked Questions
You can access your medical record from MyChart. Access the MyChart portal. (Limited information available)
Download the Authorization to Release Health Information form and return to the HIM Department at Hennepin Healthcare. Forms may be received via fax, by mail, or in person. You may request your records on paper or in an electronic format.
- Fax your release form to 612-873-1516.
- Mail to:
HIM Dept. at Hennepin Healthcare, Mail Code S7
701 Park Avenue, Minneapolis, MN 55415
- Deliver in-person to:
***For form drop-off only at this time due to COVID-19 precautions. Please leave your form in the black box near the office door.***Medical Records Office at Hennepin Healthcare
Blue Building 1st floor (B1.114)
900 S. 8th Street, Minneapolis, MN 55415
The B1 Medical Records Office is temporarily closed to the public due to the COVID-19 pandemic but is usually open Monday through Friday, 8:00 am to 4:30 pm, and closed Christmas Day and Thanksgiving.
Requests for records to be picked up in person must be picked up by the patient or their personal representative. A valid photo ID is required.
Yes - you will need to create a username and password. Access the MyChart portal.
Download the Authorization to Release Health Information form and return to the HIM Department at Hennepin Healthcare. Forms may be received via fax, by mail, or in-person (see information above for fax number & address).
You can call us at 612-873-3180 to inquire if your request has been processed and sent.
The time will vary depending on who is requesting your records. The turnaround time is as follows:
- Records requested by the patient or for continuing care: 2 days
- Records requested by the patient as a walk-in or at the B1 front desk are processed the same day for all records available onsite.
- Records being requested by someone other than the patient or personal representative that do not require a charge: 7 days
- Records being requested by someone other than the patient or personal representative for which there is a charge: 10-15 days
You will need to get the authorization of the patient and/or guardian to request records. Print the Authorization to Release Health Information form.
Only the patient or authorized representative can view or receive a copy of your medical records.