Undersea & Hyperbaric Medicine Fellowship
One-year ACGME-accredited program
Providing Hyperbaric treatment since 1964
State-of-the-art Fink multiplace chamber
10,000 square foot Hyperbaric Medicine Center
Minnesota’s only 24/7 Emergency Hyperbaric Oxygen facility
ABMS board-certified faculty in Undersea and Hyperbaric, and Emergency Medicine
Over 5,500 treatments and consults annually
About Our Program
Hennepin Healthcare has pioneered the field of undersea and hyperbaric medicine since opening the first hyperbaric chamber in 1964. Fellows in the Undersea & Hyperbaric Medicine Fellowship program continue this tradition with clinical training in the treatment of both chronic and emergency conditions. Fellows practice in our state-of-the-art Center for Hyperbaric Medicine and work with faculty who are ABMS board-certified in Undersea and Hyperbaric, and Emergency Medicine.
Our fellowship program is ACGME accredited. The Undersea and Hyperbaric Medicine fellowship is one of the only programs in the U.S. accredited with distinction by the Undersea and Hyperbaric Medical Society.
About Our Facility
The Center for Hyperbaric Medicine is located within the downtown Hennepin Healthcare campus. We handle cases at all levels of severity, including day-to-day emergencies and disaster response. We also provide the entire spectrum of care for injured patients, from pre-hospital care and transport through rehabilitation.
Center for Hyperbaric Medicine:
- Established in 1964—one of the first in the nation
- 10,000 square foot facility opened in 2012
- State-of-the-art, 48-foot Fink hyperbaric chamber
- Three independently controlled treatment locks
- Capacity for up to 23 seated patients or five in ICU beds
- Advanced monitoring, communication, environmental control, and gas delivery systems
- Customized software to record minute-by-minute treatment profiles
- Available 24/7 for emergency treatments
- Designed to admit maximum natural light
- Dedicated examination and procedural rooms
- Reception and waiting areas for patients and families
What Sets Us Apart?
In addition to providing more than nearly 5,500 treatments annually, faculty and fellows publish peer-reviewed journal articles, conduct research, educate other providers, and work with the media to raise public awareness of the benefits of hyperbaric medicine.
Fellows train in our custom-designed Fink multiplace chamber, housed in our Center for Hyperbaric Medicine, which opened in 2012. All three locks are equipped with critical care and research, utilizing the latest systems and technology.
Diverse clinical experience.
Fellows will gain experience with all Undersea and Hyperbaric Medical Society accepted conditions including diabetic ulcers, radiation injuries, non-healing wounds, and acute traumatic ischemia.
Our staff provide consultation services to Hennepin Healthcare’s emergency physicians and treat more than 100 emergency cases each year. Fellows gain ample experience in managing critically ill patients as they undergo hyperbaric oxygen treatments for carbon monoxide poisoning, arterial gas embolisms, and life-threatening soft tissue infections.
Hennepin Healthcare maintains a long tradition of cooperative, non-hierarchical teamwork that leads to low anxiety and great patient care. Fellows work side-by-side with colleagues from numerous disciplines and participate in all aspects of the program’s technical, clinical, research, and teaching activities. Physicians who are board-certified in both Emergency and Undersea and Hyperbaric Medicine supervise the program.
Your application must include:
- Verification of completion of residency
- Medical school transcripts
- Curriculum vitae
- Personal statement
- License to practice medicine in the U.S.
- Letter of recommendation from residency director
- Two letters of recommendation from current colleagues, including one from your residency program
- Submission: Submit your application by mail directly to our administrative coordinator.
- Interviews: Selected applicants will be invited for interviews. We will make every attempt to schedule interviews convenient to the applicant. Please contact us with any questions.