Ashley Bjorklund MD
Pediatrics - Critical Care
Commitment to Patient-Centered Care
“I am passionate about supporting our pediatric patients and their families during times of crisis. I am committed to taking the time to explain difficult diagnoses, listening to concerns and partnering with parents in caring for their critically ill child.”
Dr. Bjorklund specializes in pediatric critical care, including the use of Point of Care Ultrasound, device innovations for low resource settings, and simulation-based medical education.
- Needle J, Bjorklund A, Gupta S. Considerations in Caring for Adult Patients in the Pediatric Intensive Care. Journal of Pediatric Intensive Care. 2017; 6:77-82.
- Slusher T, Bjorklund A, Aayuna H, Kiragu A, Phillip C. Assessment, Evaluation and Management of the Critically Ill Child in Resource Limited International Settings. Journal of Pediatric Intensive Care. 2017. DOI http://dx.doi.org/ 10.1055/s-0036-1584677. ISSN 2146-4618.
- Bjorklund AB, Cook BA, Hendel-Paterson BR, Walker PF, Stauffer WM, Boulware DR. The impact of Global Health Training Residency Training on Medical Knowledge of Immigrant Health. American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene. 2011 Sep;85(3):405-8.
- Slusher T, Kiragu A, Day L, Bjorklund A, Shirk A, Johannsen C, Hagen S. Pediatric Critical Care in Resource Limited Settings- Overview and Lessons Learned. Frontiers in Pediatrics. 2018. Mar 16;6:49. doi: 10.3389/fped.2018.00049.
- Bjorklund A, Odongkara Mpora B, Steiner M, Fischer G, Davey C, Slusher T. Use of a Modified Bubble Continuous Positive Airway Pressure (bCPAP) Device for Children in Respiratory Distress in Low-Middle Income Countries: A Safety Study. Paediatrics and International Child Health. 2018 Jun 18:1-8. doi: 10.1080/20469047.2018.1474698.
- Rush Medical College, Chicago, IL, USA
- Internal Medicine and Pediatrics, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN, USA
- Pediatric Critical Care, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN, USA
- Society of Critical Care Medicine
- American Academy of Pediatrics
- American College of Physicians
- Health Volunteers Overseas
- Alpha Omega Alpha Honors Society
- Society for Simulation in Healthcare
- International Pediatric Simulation Society
- Board certified in Pediatric Critical Care by the American Board of Pediatrics
- Board-certified in Pediatrics by the American Board of Pediatrics
- Board-certified in Internal Medicine by the American Board of Internal Medicine
- Assistant Professor of Pediatrics Uniformed Services, University of Health Sciences School of Medicine – 2012-2019
- Lieutenant General Clair Chennault Faculty Teaching Award, Walter Reed National Military Medical Center, 2019
- Joint Award Defense Meritorious Service Award, Walter Reed National Military Medical Center, 2016-2019
- CAPT Gregory H. Gorman and Arthur “SOWGAS” Award, Department of Pediatrics Teaching Faculty of the Year Award, Walter Reed National Military Medical Center, 2017-2018
- Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medal Award, Naval Hospital Camp Lejeune, 2013
- Brennan Scholar Award Scholarship, University of Minnesota, 2010
- Mark Snelling Outstanding Fellow Teacher Award, University of Minnesota, 2014, 2015, 2016
- Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Society, Rush University
- Isabel Coler Herb, MD Award for Outstanding Achievement in Medical School, Rush University, 2007
- Rush Medical College Clinical Excellence Award, Rush University, 2007
“I enjoy spending time with my family, traveling, running and playing soccer.”