Commitment to Patient-Centered Care
“I am passionate about being an advocate for my patients.”
Dr. Karl is the current Medical Education and Simulation Fellow within the Department of Emergency Medicine. She has a special interest in medical student and resident education and has extensive experience with EM-bound medical student advocacy and mentorship. Dr. Karl prides herself in always being an advocate for her patients, residents, medical students, and healthcare team.
- Driver, BE, Prekker, ME, Levitan, RM, Corajod, J, Karl E, Smith, AD, Reardon, RF. Engagement of the Median Glossoepiglottic Fold and Laryngeal View During Emergency Department Intubation, Annals of Emergency Medicine: available online June 23, 2021.
- Deiorio, N and Jarou, Z (equal first authors, remainder of authors listed alphabetically), Alker, A, Bird, S, Driver, BE, Druck J, Gallahue, F, Hiller K, Karl E, Pierce A, Fletcher L, Dunleavy D. Applicant Reactions to the AAMC Standardized Video Interview During the 2018 Application Cycle, Academic Medicine: October 2019; 94(10):1498-1505.
- Cole JB, Scharber SK, Karl ER, Horton GB, Satpathy R, Driver BE, ‘Push Dose Pressors’ in the Emergency Department: As Assessment of Adverse Hemodynamic Events, Documentation Errors, and Dosing Errors, Journal of Medical Toxicology: July 2019; 15: 276-286.
- Olaf M, Karl E, Pickos J, Chapter 8 – Apply Smarter, Not Harder: Understand Your Competitiveness, EMRA and CORD Student Advising Guide: An Evidence-Based Approach to Matching in EM, Editor in Chief: Jarou Z. Associate Editors: Hillman E, Kellogg A, Lutfy-Clayton L, Pelletier-Bui A, Shandro J. Emergency Medicine Residents’ Association, 2019.
- University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN, USA
- Emergency Medicine, University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, NE, USA
- American College of Emergency Physicians
- Emergency Medicine Residents’ Association
- American Medical Association
- Chief Resident, University of Nebraska Medical Center, Department of Emergency Medicine
“In my free time, I enjoy spending time with my husband and our dog, Dante, aggressively attending Ed Sheeran concerts since 2012 (current count = 12), composting, recycling, and living a low waste lifestyle, continuing the perpetual quest to find the best pizza in the world (current favorite = Gustapizza in Florence, Italy), and strategizing ways to successfully run and win The Amazing Race one day.”