Commitment to Patient-Centered Care
“I am committed to making sure you or your loved one receive the best addiction care available; care that is grounded in science with no judgement, moralizing, or unnecessary steps.”
The addictive diseases are the largest preventable cause of death in the world. Like other chronic diseases such as diabetes and hypertension, treatment of addictions requires a wide range of tools including life-style change, behavioral counseling, and life-saving medications. Recent medical advances have brought to the forefront new tools with which to treat addictions. The Addiction Medicine program at Hennepin Healthcare provides the best available treatments for the addictive diseases. Through our ongoing commitment to patient care and research, we combine medical innovation with outstanding clinical skills and have become leaders in addiction treatment.
- Bart G, Wastvedt S. Hodges JS, Rosenthal R. Did drug use increase following COVID-19 relaxation of methadone take-out regulations? 2020 was a complicated year. J Subst Abuse Treat 2021.
- Bart G, Giang LM, Yen H, Hodges JS, Brundage RC. Effect of HIV, antiretrovirals, and genetics on methadone pharmacokinetics: Results from the Methadone Antiretroviral Pharmacokinetics Study. Drug and Alcohol Depend 2021.
- Trivedi MH, Walker R, Ling W, deal Cruz A, Sharma G, Carmody T, Ghitza UE, Wahle A, Kim M, Shores-Wilson K, Sparenborg S, Coffin P, Schmitz J, Wiest K, Bart G, Sonne SC, Wakhlu S, Rush AJ, Nunes EV, Shoptaw S. Buproprion and Naltrexone in Methamphetamine Use Disorder. N Engl J Med. 2021: 384:140-53.
- Rossom RC, Sperl-Hillen JM, O’Connor PJ, Crain AL, Nightingale L, Pylkas A, Huntley KV, Bart G. A pilot study of the functionality and clinician acceptance of a clinical decision support tool to improve primary care of opioid use disorder. Addict Sci Clin Pract. 2021; 16:37.
- Winkelman TNA, Admon LK, Jennings L, Richardson CR, Bart G. Evaluation of Amphetamine-Related Hospitalizations and Associated Clinical Outcomes and Costs in the United States. JAMA Netw Open. 2018; 1(6):e183758
- University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN, USA
- Internal Medicine, Hennepin Healthcare, Minneapolis, MN, USA
- American Society of Addiction Medicine
- College on Problems of Drug Dependence
- American College of Physicians
- Board certification, Addiction Medicine, American Board of Addiction Medicine
- Board certification, Internal Medicine, American Board of Internal Medicine
- Principal investigator, NorthStar Node of the Clinical Trials Network (NIH-NIDA UG1DA040316)
- Principal Investigator, Population Pharmacokinetics: Methadone-Antiretroviral Interactions in Vietnam (NIH-NIDA R01DA040510)
- Co-Investigator, Buprenorphine to Improve HIV Care Engagement and Outcomes: A Randomized Trial (NIH-NIDA R01DA037441)
- Technical Assistance, US Substance Abuse, and Mental Health Services Administration, addiction work-force capacity-building efforts in Vietnam (more than 75 weeks in-country experience)
- Member of the Graduate Faculty, Department of Pharmacology, University of Minnesota
- opens in a new windowAddiction Medicine, Hennepin Healthcare Research Institute
- Founding president, Minnesota Society of Addiction Medicine
- Distinguished Fellow, American Society of Addiction Medicine
- Fellow, American College of Physicians
“I have devoted my career to the improvement of care for those with addiction at the local, national, and international level. I spend my remaining time outside of work running, listening to old school punk rock, and with my incredible wife and children.”