Commitment to Patient-Centered Care
“I consider myself a consultant and advocate for patients as they seek to improve their health. I strive to stay informed and forward thinking, so patients have access to the best care our field has to offer.”
Dr. Baker practices HIV Medicine and General Infectious Disease consultation, and is an Associate Professor of Medicine at the University of Minnesota. He directs an HIV research program with activities at both Hennepin County Medical Center (HCMC) and the University of Minnesota, which involves studying persistent inflammation and immune problems among persons with HIV infection. Dr. Baker conducts clinical studies an HCMC and collaborates with larger networks nationally and internationally. The long-term vision of his research is to improve health outcomes for persons living with HIV infection, prevent new infections, and contribute to the development of a cure.
- Baker JV, Peng G, Rapkin J, Abrams D, Silverberg MJ, MacArthur RD, Cavert WP, Henry WK, Neaton JD for the Terry Beirn Community Programs for Clinical Research on AIDS (CPCRA). CD4+ cell count and risk of non-AIDS diseases following initial treatment for HIV infection. AIDS 2008;22(7):841-848.
- Baker JV and Henry K. If we can’t get what we want, can we get what we need? — optimizing use of antiretroviral therapy in the current era (editorial). Annals of Internal Medicine 2011;154:563-5 3.
- Baker JV*, Brummel-Zeidens K*, Neuhaus J, Duprez D, Cummings N, Dalmau D, DeHovitz J, Lehman C, Sullivan A, Woolley I, Kuller L, Neaton JD and Tracy RP for the INSIGHT/SMART Study group. HIV replication alters the composition of extrinsic pathway coagulation factors and increases thrombin generation. Journal of AHA 2013;2:e000264
- Baker JV, Huppler Hullsiek K, Singh A, Wilson E, Henry WK, Lichtenstein K, Onen N, Kojic E, Patel P, Brooks JT, Hodis HN, Budoff M, and Sereti I for the CDC SUN Study Investigators. Immunologic Predictors of Coronary Artery Calcium Progression in a Contemporary HIV Cohort. AIDS 2014;28(6):831-40.
- Baker JV, Sharma S, Achhra AC, Bernardino JI, Bogner JR, Duprez D, Emery S, Gazzard B, Gordin J, Grandits G, Phillips A, Schwarze S, Soliman EZ, Spector SA, Tambussi G, and Lundgren J, for the INSIGHT START (Strategic Timing of AntiRetroviral Treatment) Study Group. Changes in CVD Risk Factors with Immediate versus Deferred Antiretroviral Therapy Initiation Among HIV-positive Participants in the START trial. JAHA 2017;6(5):e004987
- University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI, USA
- Internal Medicine, Oregon Health & Science University, Portland, OR, USA
- Clinical Outcomes Research, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN, USA
- Infectious Diseases, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN, USA
Media, Newsletters and Videos
- HIV Medicine Association
- Infectious Disease Society of America
- American College of Physicians
- Board-certified in Infectious Diseases by the American Board of Internal Medicine
- Board-certified in Internal Medicine by the American Board of Internal Medicine
- HIV/AIDS, Hennepin Healthcare Research Institute
- Voted Top Doc, Minnesota Monthly
“I’m passionate about improving the lives of persons with HIV infection, including expanding our understanding of how to treat, prevent, and cure HIV disease. With the time I have away from work, I’ll ‘recharge’ by running with friends and spend time with my wonderful family.”