Commitment to Patient-Centered Care
“I particularly enjoy helping patients navigate through the management of their kidney disease at all stages. My goal is to develop a partnership that allows for shared decision making, which is only possible in an environment of mutual understanding.”
Dr. Johansen is the Director of Nephrology at Hennepin Healthcare and co-Director of the Chronic Disease Research Group. She is a general nephrologist who specializes in the care of patients with chronic kidney disease and patients receiving home-based or in-center dialysis treatment.
- Ku E, Johansen KL*, McCulloch CE*. Time-centered approach to understanding risk factors for the progression of chronic kidney disease. Clinical Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, 13(5):693-701, 2018. *These authors contributed equally to this work.
- Johansen KL, Delgado C, Kaysen GA, Chertow GM, Chiang J, Dalrymple LS, Segal MR, Grimes BA. Frailty among patients receiving hemodialysis: evolution of components and associations with mortality. Journal of Gerontology A: Biological Sciences and Medical Sciences, 2018, online ahead of print.
- Chiang JM, Kaysen GA, Segal M, Chertow GM, Delgado C, Johansen KL. Low testosterone is associated with frailty, muscle wasting, and physical dysfunction among men receiving hemodialysis: a longitudinal analysis. Nephrology, Dialysis, Transplantation, 2018, online ahead of print.
- Ku E, McCulloch CE, Vittinghoff E, Lin F, Johansen KL. Use of antihypertensive agents and association with risk of adverse outcomes in chronic kidney disease: focus on angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitors and angiotensin receptor blockers. Journal of the American Heart Association, 2018, online ahead of print.
- Ishida J, McCulloch CE, Steinman, MA, Grimes B, Johansen KL. Psychoactive medications and adverse outcomes among older adults receiving hemodialysis. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, in press.
- Duke University School of Medicine, Durham, NC, USA
- Internal Medicine, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA, USA
- Nephrology, University of California, San Francisco, CA, USA
- Editorial Board, Journal of the American Society of Nephrology
- Editorial Board, Clinical Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, Kidney International, Nephrology, Dialysis, and Transplantation
- Editorial Board, Journal of Renal Nutrition
- American Society of Nephrology
- Board-certified in Nephrology by the Americal Board of Internal Medicine
- Chronic Disease Research Group (CDRG), Hennepin Healthcare Research Institute
- Alpha Omega Alpha
- Fellow of the American Society of Nephrology