Commitment to Patient-Centered Care
“I am committed to providing patients with compassionate care and consider patients to be family. I strive to provide all patients with the information, tools and medications they need to take care of their diabetes and other endocrine diseases.”
Dr. LaFave trained in Internal Medicine at Hennepin Healthcare and in Endocrinology, Diabetes, and Metabolism at the University of Minnesota. She sees patients for diabetes as well as thyroid, adrenal, and pituitary disorders. She has expertise in diabetes technology including insulin pumps and continuous glucose monitors. She is passionate about teaching and community engagement.
- LaFave LT, Haselby D, Hart A. Endocrine complications of chronic kidney disease. Chapter 34 in Chronic Renal Disease, Second Edition. 2020 Elsevier Inc.
- Kalogeropoulou D, LaFave L, Schweim K, Gannon MC, Nuttall FQ. Lysine ingestion markedly attenuates the glucose response to ingested glucose without a change in insulin response. Am J Clin Nutr. 2009; 90(2): 314-20.
- Kalogeroupoulou, D, LaFave L, Schweim K, Gannon MC, Nuttall FQ. Leucine when ingested with glucose synergistically stimulates insulin secretion and lowers blood glucose. Metabolism. 2008; 57(12): 1747-52.
- LaFave, LT, Augustin LB, Marish CN. S14: Insights from knockout mice. Endocrinology. 2006; 147(9); 4044-47.
- University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN, USA
- Internal Medicine, Hennepin Healthcare, Minneapolis, MN, USA
- Diabetes, Endocrinology and Metabolism, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN, USA
Media, Newsletters and Videos
- Diabetes, Part 1, with Dr. Laura LaFave, Healthy Matters
- Endocrine Society
- American Diabetes Association
- Board Certified in Endocrinology
- MN Monthly Top Doctors for Women 2011-2018
- MN Monthly Top Doctors 2016, 2014
“I grew up in Washington DC and consider it a compliment when people tell me I seem like I’m from Minnesota. I have a wonderful spouse who works to help provide people with affordable housing. My three kids will tolerate cross country skiing with me once or twice a season. I love running (well at least I love my running partners), and I coach a program called Girls on the Run. I’m in two book groups and play piano and am a new student of guitar.”