Commitment to Patient-Centered Care
“I am passionate about caring for patients who come to the Emergency Department with needs of any kind. I am committed to serving those patients who have limited, or no access to medical care.”
Dr. Martel is an Emergency Physician with expertise in critical care, airway management and resuscitation. He also specializes in emergency psychiatry. He is committed to teaching and mentoring the next generation of healthcare students and physicians. Dr. Martel also co-directs the Medical Scribe Program.
- Martel ML, Klein LR, Rivard RL, Cole JB. A Large Retrospective Cohort of Patients Receiving Intravenous Olanzapine in the Emergency Department. Academic Emergency Medicine. 2016 Jan 1;23(1):29-35.
- Martel ML, Klein LR, Miner JR, Cole JB, Nystrom PC, Holm KM, Biros MH. A Brief Assessment of Capacity to Consent Instrument in Acutely Intoxicated Emergency Department Patients. American Journal of Emergency Medicine. 2017 [In Press] http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ajem.2017.06.043
- Hill CH, Miner JR, Martel ML. Olanzapine versus droperidol for the treatment of primary headache in the emergency department. Academic Emergency Medicine. 2008 Sep 1;15(9):806-11.
- Martel M, Gosen C, Joing S. Intubation of patients with acute epiglottitis in the emergency department using a gum elastic bougie as an adjunct. Acad Emerg Med. February 2014; 21 (2): E6. doi: 10.1111/acem.12303.
- Gross E and Martel M. Chapter 33. Multiple Trauma. Rosen’s Emergency Medicine: Concepts and Clinical Practice. 9th Ed.
- Martel M, Sterzinger A, Miner J, Clinton J, Biros M. Management of acute undifferentiated agitation in the emergency department: a randomized double-blind trial of droperidol, ziprasidone, and midazolam. Academic emergency medicine. 2005 Dec 1;12(12):1167-72.
- Martel M, Reardon RF, Cochrane J. Initial Experience of Emergency Physicians Using the ILMA: A case series. Academic Emergency Medicine. 2001; 8(8): 815-822.
- Chicago Medical School, North Chicago, IL, USA
- Emergency Medicine, Hennepin Healthcare, Minneapolis, MN, USA
- Emergency Medicine Research, Hennepin Healthcare, Minneapolis, MN, USA
- American Board of Emergency Medicine
- American Academy of Emergency Physicians
- Society of Academic Emergency Medicine
- American Academy for Emergency Psychiatry
- Board Certified in Emergency Medicine
- Associate Professor of Emergency Medicine, University of Minnesota
- Former Program Director of Emergency Medicine and Emergency Medicine/Internal Medicine Residency Programs 2006-2011
- Ruiz Faculty Teaching Award 2004 and 2014
- Minnesota Monthly “Top Doctors for Women” Recognition
- Alpha Omega Alpha Honors Society
“I enjoy spending time with my family, outdoor sports, camping, hiking, fishing and home projects.”