Margret Oethinger, MD, PhD
Laboratory Medicine & Pathology
Commitment to Patient-Centered Care
“I am committed to diagnostic stewardship by helping my clinical colleagues to order the right test at the right time on the right patient. Every patient is unique and deserves our best effort.”
Dr. Oethinger is a clinical pathologist who works closely with her clinical colleagues, especially in the field of infectious diseases. Her special expertise is antibiotic resistance and new diagnostic methods. The latter interest helps her stay on the cutting edge of her field.
- Christensen AB, Footer B, Pusch T, Heath K, Iqbal M, Wang L, Tallman G, Cover C, Marfori J, Kendall B, Stucky N, Graekel M, Thomas IL, Tran K, Yip S, Oethinger M., Impact of a laboratory developed rapid susceptibility test directly from positive blood cultures on time to narrowest therapy in patients with Gram-negative bacteremia: a prospective randomized trial. Open Forum Infect Dis 2022.
- Blackall D, Moreno R, Jin J, Plotinsky R, Dworkin R, Oethinger M., Performance Characteristics of the Roche Diagnostics cobas Liat PCR System as a COVID-19 Screening Tool for Hospital Admissions in a Regional Health Care Delivery System. J Clin Microbiol. 2021 Oct; 59(10): 1278-21.
- Stokes W, Simner PJ, Mortensen J, Oethinger M, Stellrecht K, Lockamy E, Lay T, Bouchy P, Pillai DR. Multicenter Clinical Validation of the Molecular-Based BD MAX™ Enteric Viral Panel for the detection of enteric pathogens. J Clin Microbial 2019 Sep; 57(9): 306-319.
- Frye AM, Baker CA, Rustvold DL, Heath KA, Hunt J, Leggett JE, Oethinger M., Clinical impact of a real-time PCR assay for rapid identification of staphylococcal bacteremia. J Clin Microbiol 2012;50:127-133.
- Endimiani A, Hujer AM, Perez F, Bethel CR, Hujer KM, Kroeger J, Oethinger M, Paterson DL, Adams MD, Jacobs MR, Diekema DJ, Hall GS, Jenkins SG, Rice LB, Tenover FC, Bonomo RA: Characterization of blaKPC-containing Klebsiella pneumoniae isolates detected in different institutions in the Eastern United States. J Antimicrob Chemo 2009;63:427-37.
- Oethinger M, Podglajen I, Kern WV and Levy SB. Overexpression of the marA and soxS regulatory gene in clinical topoisomerase mutants of Escherichia coli. Antimicrob Agents and Chemotherapy 1998, 42: 2089-2094.
- McMurry LM, Oethinger M, and Levy SB. Triclosan targets lipid synthesis. Nature 1998;394:531-532.
- University of Goettingen, Germany and University of Luebeck, GERMANY
- Anatomic and Clinical Pathology, Yale New Haven Hospital/Yale University, New Haven, CT, USA
- Medical Microbiology, Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, OH, USA
- College of American Pathologists
- American Society for Microbiology
- Infectious Diseases Society of Oregon
- Medical Director of Microbiology and Molecular Diagnostics
- Licensed physician in the state of Minnesota
- Licensed physician in the state of Oregon
- Board certified in Clinical Pathology by the American Board of Pathology
- Sub-specialty board certified in Medical Microbiology by the American Board of Pathology
- Diploma by the American Board of Medical Microbiology (ABMM)
- Licensed physician in Germany
- Board-certified in Microbiology and Hospital Hygiene, Germany
- The Porton Medal Award
- CAP Foundation Rippey Award
- Paul E. Strandjord Young Investigator Award
“In my free time, I enjoy cross-country skiing in winter and hiking and gardening in summer. I like hanging out with friends and family which includes two cats.”