Commitment to Patient-Centered Care
“My practice philosophy revolves around fostering teamwork through the provision of in-depth information, counseling, and guidance, in order to help my patients make their own decisions with at most flexibility throughout their care. I am a very proud and happy member of the HCMC Cardiology department which is an evidence-based and highly academic team with very high standards. My core team consists of well trained and caring registered nurses and physician assistants.”
Dr. Simegn has sizable experience in the management of acutely sick patients with heart attack, heart failure, valvular heart disease and rhythm problems requiring intensive care and coronary care. He is the director of the Cardio-Renal clinic and is involved in the assessment and management of prospective patients being evaluated for potential renal transplant. He is an advanced cardiovascular imaging specialist who performs and reads Echocardiography, Transesophageal Echocardiography, Nuclear Cardiology and Cardiac CT. He is involved in the training of prospective cardiologists in the HCMC/Abbott Cardiovascular Fellowship program. He is one of the HCMC site Co-Principal Investigators for the NIH funded ISCHEMIA-CKD trial.
- Asinger RW, Shroff GR, Simegn MA, Herzog CA, Anticoagulation for Nonvalvular Atrial Fibrillation: Influence of Epidemiologic Trends and Clinical Practice Patterns on Risk Stratification and Net Clinical Benefit. Circ Cardiovasc Qual Outcomes. 2017 Sep;10(9).
- Hart MA, Simegn MA, Pylephlebitis presenting as spontaneous coronary sinus thrombosis: a case report. J Med Case Rep. 2017 Nov 2;11(1):309.
- Aby ES, Rosol Z, Simegn MA. Mitral Valve Perforation in Libman-Sacks Endocarditis: A Heart-Wrenching Case of Lupus. J Gen Intern Med. 2016 Mar 14. [Epub ahead of print].
- Kalra A, Simegn MA, Bart BA. Inpatient Cardiology Consultation Service: Transitioning Fellows-in-Training to Independent Cardiovascular Consultants. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2015;66(7):867-870.
- Simegn M, Kottam A, Afonso L. The Assessment of Prosthetic Valve Function. In: Abraham TP, ed. Case Based Echocardiography.London, England:Springer;2011:235-249.
- Alfonso L, Kondur A, Simegn M, Niraj A, Hari P, Kaur R, Ramappa P, Pradhan J, Bhandare D, Williams KA, Zalawadiya S, Pinheiro A, Abraham TP. Two-dimensional strain profiles in patients with physiological and pathological hypertrophy and preserved left ventricular systolic function: a comparative analyses. BMJ Open. 2012;2(4):1-8.
- Stendahl JC, Hasan AS, Simegn MA. Massive interventricular septal aneurysm and stroke in a healthy young patient: Guilt by association? J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis. 2014;23(3):590-591.
- Internal Medicine, Addis Ababa University, ADDIS ABABA, ETHIOPIA
- Internal Medicine, Hennepin Healthcare, Minneapolis, MN, USA
- Cardiovascular Medicine, Wayne State University, Detroit, MI, USA
- American College of Cardiology
- American College of Physicians
- American Society of Echocardiography
- Society of Cardiovascular MRI
- Fellow, American College of Cardiology
- Board certified in Cardiovascular Medicine
- Board certified in Echocardiography
- Board certified in Nuclear Cardiology
- Board certified in Cardiac CT
- Board certified in Internal Medicine
- Assistant Professor of Medicine, University of Minnesota
- Distinguished Teaching Award, Hennepin County Medical Center/Abbott Northwestern Hospital Cardiovascular Disease Fellowship Training Program, Minneapolis, Minnesota, 2013-2016
- Minnesota Monthly Best Doctors, 2017, 2016
- Distinguished Staff Teaching Award, Department of Internal Medicine, Hennepin County Medical Center, Minneapolis, Minnesota, 2011-2012
- Teacher of the Year Award, University of Minnesota Cardiovascular Fellows, Minneapolis, Minnesota, 2010-2011
- Outstanding Fellow of the Year Award, Wayne State University and The Detroit Medical Center, Division of Cardiology, Detroit, Michigan, 2010
- Morris Davidman Resident Teaching Award in appreciation of outstanding teaching in medical education and patient care, Hennepin County Medical Center, Minneapolis, Minnesota, 2006-2007
- Resident Research Award in recognition of outstanding research achievement during residency training, Hennepin County Medical Center, Minneapolis, Minnesota, 2007
“I am married and a father of two boys. I enjoy traveling with my family, movies and playing and watching soccer. I speak Amharic, a language spoken only in Ethiopia.”