Commitment to Patient-Centered Care
“My practice philosophy entails fostering teamwork through the provision of easily understandable medical information, counseling, guidance, and shared decision making throughout the care of my patients. My core team consists of well trained and caring registered nurses and physician assistants.”
Dr. Simegn is an Assistant Professor of Medicine at the University of Minnesota and is actively engaged in education and serves as the Program Director of the Hennepin Healthcare and Minneapolis Heart Institute/Abbott Northwestern Hospital Cardiovascular Disease Fellowship Training Program. He is Board Certified in Cardiovascular Disease, Internal Medicine, Echocardiography, Nuclear Cardiology and Cardiac CT.
Dr. Simegn provides comprehensive cardiovascular care and advanced cardiovascular imaging with special interest in in those with chronic kidney disease and kidney transplant, valvular heart disease, aortic aneurysm, and bicuspid aortic valve. He has experience in the management acute cardiovascular conditions including heart attacks, heart failure, valve related heart diseases, and rhythm abnormalities. He was the Director of the Cardio-Renal Clinic from 2012-2021 and is involved in the evaluation and management of potential kidney transplant recipients. He was site Co-Principal Investigator for the NIH funded ISCHEMIA-CKD trial.
- Herzog CA, Simegn MA, Xu Y, Costa SP, Mathew RO, El-Hajjar MC, Gulati S, Maldonado RA, Daugas E, Madero M, Fleg JL, Anthopolos R, Stone GW, Sidhu MS, Maron DJ, Hochman JS, Bangalore S.J. Kidney transplant list status and outcomes in the ISCHEMIA-CKD trial. Am Coll Cardiol. 2021;78(4):348-361. doi: 10.1016/j.jacc.2021.05.001. PMID: 33989711.
- Bangalore S, Maron DJ, O’Brien SM, Fleg JL, Kretov EI, Briguori C, Kaul U, Reynolds HR, Mazurek T, Sidhu MS, Berger JS, Mathew RO, Bockeria O, Broderick S, Pracon R, Herzog CA, Huang Z, Stone GW, Boden WE, Newman JD, Ali ZA, Mark DB, Spertus JA, Alexander KP, Chaitman BR, Chertow GM, Hochman JS; ISCHEMIA-CKD Research Group (including Simegn M). Management of coronary disease in patients with advanced kidney disease. N Engl J Med. 2020;382(17):1608-1618. doi: 10.1056/NEJMoa1915925. PMID: 32227756.
- Simegn MA, Herzog CA. Cardiac consultative approach to hemodialysis patients and cardiovascular evaluation and management of potential kidney transplant recipients. In: McCullough P.A., Ronco C., eds. Textbook of Cardiorenal Medicine. Cham, Switzerland; Springer; 2021. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-57460-4_26
- Abraham B, Megaly M*, Sous M, Fransawyalkomos M, Saad M, Fraser R, Topf J, Goldsmith S, Simegn M, Bart B, Azzo Z, Mesiha N, Sharma R. Meta-analysis comparing torsemide versus furosemide in patients with heart failure. Am J Cardiol. 2020;125(1):92-99. PMID: 31699358.
- Goldsmith S, Simegn MA. Letter to editor: Heart failure with preserved ejection fraction: Types 1 and 2? JACC Heart Fail. 2019;7(7):632. PMID: 31248573.
- Asinger RW, Shroff GR, Simegn MA, Herzog CA. Anticoagulation for nonvalvularatrial fibrillation: Influence of epidemiologic trends and clinical practice.patterns on risk stratification and net clinical benefit. Circ Cardiovasc Qual Outcomes. 2017;10(9):e003669. PubMed PMID: 28893833.
- Kalra A, Simegn MA, Bart BA. Inpatient cardiology consultation service: Transitioning Fellows-in-training to independent cardiovascular consultants. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2015;66(7):867-870. PMID: 26271071.
- Lundeen K, Bhoopal J, Simegn M, Leatherman J. Acute hypoxemia and coma in a patient with SC disease. Chest. 2019;155(2):e21-e23. PMID: 30732697.
- Afonso L, Kondur A, Simegn M, Niraj A, Hari P, Kaur R, Ramappa P, Pradhan J, Bhandare D, Williams KA, Zalawadiya S, Pinheiro A, Abraham TP. Two-dimensional strain profiles in patients with physiological and pathological hypertrophy and preserved left ventricular systolic function: A comparative analysis. BMJ Open. 2012;2(4). PMID: 22904333.
- Jimma University, Faculty of Medical Sciences, Jimma, ETHIOPIA
- Internal Medicine, Addis Ababa University, Addis Ababa, ETHIOPIA
- Internal Medicine, Hennepin Healthcare, Minneapolis, MN, USA
- Cardiovascular Medicine, Wayne State University, Detroit, MI, USA
- Fellow of the American College of Cardiology
- Fellow of the American Society of Echocardiography
- Board certified in Cardiovascular Medicine
- Board certified in Echocardiography
- Board certified in Nuclear Cardiology
- Board certified in Cardiac CT
- Board certified in Internal Medicine
- Assistant Professor of Medicine, University of Minnesota
- Distinguished Teaching Award, Hennepin County Medical Center/Abbott Northwestern Hospital Cardiovascular Disease Fellowship Training Program, Minneapolis, Minnesota, 2014, 2016 and 2022
- Medical Staff Honors Award for Outstanding Contributions in Academics ,2021, Hennepin Healthcare, Minneapolis, Minnesota
- Minnesota Monthly Best Doctors, yearly 2016-2021
- Distinguished Teaching Award, Department of Internal Medicine, Hennepin County Medical Center, Minneapolis, Minnesota, 2011-2012
- Teacher of the Year Award, University of Minnesota Cardiovascular Fellows, Minneapolis, Minnesota, 2011
- Outstanding Fellow of the Year Award, Wayne State University and The Detroit Medical Center, Division of Cardiology, Detroit, Michigan, 2010
- Morris Davidman Resident Teaching Award in appreciation of outstanding teaching in medical education and patient care, Hennepin County Medical Center, Minneapolis, Minnesota, 2006-2007
- Resident Research Award in recognition of outstanding research achievement during residency training, Hennepin County Medical Center, Minneapolis, Minnesota, 2007
“I am married and a father of two boys. I enjoy traveling with my family, movies and playing and watching soccer. I speak Amharic, a language spoken only in Ethiopia.”