Commitment to Patient-Centered Care
“My goal whenever I sit down with a patient is helping figure out how I can help make the most of their visit to the emergency department.”
Dr. Puskarich is an emergency physician who specializes in the assessment and treatment of patients presenting to the emergency department. In addition, he has particular research expertise in the assessment and treatment of patients with sepsis and life-threatening infections.
- Puskarich MA, Trzeciak S, Shapiro NI, Albers AB, Heffner AC, Kline JA, Jones AE, Whole blood lactate kinetics in patients undergoing quantitative resuscitation for severe sepsis and septic shock. Chest. 2013 Jun;143(6):1548-1553. doi: 10.1378/chest.12-0878. PMID: 23740148.
- Puskarich MA, Trzeciak S, Shapiro NI, Arnold RC, Horton JM, Studnek JR, Kline JA, Jones AE, Association between timing of antibiotic administration and mortality from septic shock in patients treated with a quantitative resuscitation protocol, Emergency Medicine Shock Research Network (EMSHOCKNET). Crit Care Med. 2011 Sep;39(9):2066-71. doi: 10.1097/CCM.0b013e31821e87ab. PMID: 21572327.
- Puskarich MA, Marchick MR, Kline JA, Steuerwald MT, Jones AE, One year mortality of patients treated with an emergency department-based early goal-directed therapy protocol for severe sepsis and septic shock: a before and after study. Crit Care. 2009;13(5):R167. doi: 10.1186/cc8138. Epub 2009 Oct 21. PMID: 19845956.
- Puskarich MA, Sterling SA, Miller WR, Pryor J, Jones AE, The Impact of Timing of Antibiotics on Outcomes in Severe Sepsis and Septic Shock: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. Crit Care Med. 2015 Sep;43(9):1907-15. doi: 10.1097/CCM.0000000000001142. Review. PMID: 26121073.
- Puskarich MA, Finkel MA, Karnovsky A, Jones AE, Trexel J, Harris BN, Stringer KA, Pharmacometabolomics of l-carnitine treatment response phenotypes in patients with septic shock. Ann Am Thorac Soc. 2015 Jan;12(1):46-56. doi: 10.1513/AnnalsATS.201409-415OC. PMID: 25496487.
- University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI, USA
- Emergency Medicine, Carolinas Medical Center, Charlotte, NC, USA
- Clinical Research, Carolinas Medical Center, Charlotte, NC, USA
- American College of Emergency Physicians
- Society of Academic Emergency Medicine
- Board certified in Emergency Medicine
- Masters of Science in Clinical Research
- Chief Resident, Carolinas Medical Center, Charlotte, NC
- Resident Research Award, Carolinas Medical Center, Charlotte, NC
- Oustanding Senior Resident, Carolinas Medical Center, Charlotte, NC
- Best Resident Presentation – Academic Emergency Medicine Annual Meeting
- Best Fellow Presentation – Academic Emergency Medicine Annual Meeting
- Plenary Presentation – Society of Academic Emergency Medicine
- Young Investigator Award – Society for Academic Emergency Medicine
- Outstanding Peer Reviewer – Academic Emergency Medicine and Annals of Emergency Medicine
“I enjoy spending time with my wife and children, exploring all the Twin Cities has to offer.”