Commitment to Patient-Centered Care
“I am committed to providing best possible patient care. I advocate for educating patients and their families about their disease, so that they can be part of decision-making process.”
Dr. Karim’s main area of expertise within cardiology is heart rhythm disorders. As a Cardiac Electrophysiologist, he performs procedures which include EP studies, ablation procedures for arrhythmias, and implantation of pacemakers, defibrillators and biventricular pacing (Cardiac Resynchronization Therapy – CRT) devices. His other areas of interest include echocardiography and intracardial echo imaging.
- Walsh BM, Karim R, Smith SW. A patient with a biventricular pacemaker presenting with chest pain. JAMA Intern Med. 2015;175(6):1053-1055
- Lu Y, Branstad R, Karim RM, Asinger RW. Consideration of clinical variables for choosing new anticoagulant alternatives to warfarin for the management of non-valvular atrial fibrillation. J Clin Pharm Ther. 2014;39(6):628-636.
- Voight J, Akkaya M, Somasundaram P, Karim R, Valliani S, Kwon Y, Adabag S. Risk of new-onset atrial fibrillation and stroke after radiofrequency ablation of isolated, typical atrial flutter. Heart Rhythm. 2014;11(11):1884-1889.
- Nelson SE, Shroff GR, Johannsen RA, Karim RM. Right ventricular pacing for right ventricular outflow tract obstruction in a man with biventricular hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. Tex Heart Inst J. 2013;40(3):367-369.
- Ponikowski P, Javaheri S, Michalkiewicz D, Bart B, Czarnecka D, Jastrzebski M, Kusiak A, Augostini R, Jagielski D, Witkowski T, Khayat R, Oldenburg O, Gutleben K, Bitter T, Karim R, Iber C, Hasan A, Kibler K, German R, Abraham W. Transvenous phrenic nerve stimulation for the treatment of central sleep apnoea in heart failure. Eur Heart J. 2012;33(7):889-894.
- Shroff GR, Sarraf M, Sprenkle MD, Karim RM. Air embolism involving the coronary and pulmonary circulation: an unusual cause of sudden cardiac death. Circulation. 2011;124(25):2949-2950.
- Kapoor N, Fahsah I, Karim R, Jevans AJ, Leesar MA. Physiological assessment of renal artery stenosis: comparisons of resting with hyperemic renal pressure measurements. Catheter Cardiovasc Interv. 2010;76(5):733-734.
- Karim RM, Siddiqui TS, Raible S, Deam AG. Recipient atrial flutter masquerading as donor flutter in a heart transplant recipient. J Heart Lung Transplant. 2007;(4);414-416.
- Karim RM, Momin IA, Lalani IL, et al. Q wave and non-Q wave myocardial infarction: a multivariate analysis of survival experience and clinical outcome after first diagnosis at a tertiary care hospital. J Pakistan Med Assoc. 1999;49(6):149-154.
- Karim RM, Momin IA, Lalani IL, et al. Aspiration pneumonia in pediatric age group: etiology, predisposing factors and clinical outcome. J Pakistan Med Assoc. 1999;49(4):105-108. 11. Saeed SA, Gilani AH, Sultan BH, Karim RM, Shah BH. Myocardial ischemia and infarction in isoprenaline-treated rabbits: role of cyclooxygenases. Biochem Soc Trans. 1998;26(4):S342.
- Aga Khan University, KARACHI, PAKISTAN
- Internal Medicine, Indiana University, Indianapolis, IN, USA
- Cardiovascular Diseases, University of Louisville, Louisville, KY, USA
- Clinical Cardiac Electrophysiology, University of Oklahoma Health Science Ctr, Oklahoma City, OK, USA
- Heart Rhythm Society
- Board certified in internal medicine
- Board certified in cardiovascular diseases
- Board certified in clinical cardiac electrophysiology
- Board certified in adult comprehensive echocardiography
- Clinical Excellence Award, Department of Medicine, clinical excellence in practice and modeling for residents, 2015
- Best Doctors, Minnesota Monthly magazine, 2016
“I enjoy biking and spending time with my family and friends.”