Non-Surgical (Medical) Weight Loss
Let Us Help
Have you been struggling with excess weight and haven't been able to get it under control?
It takes effort to commit to lifestyle measures that may help. The lifestyle measures we will address are eating habits, exercise, stress management, and sleep. It then takes effort and commitment to sustain a healthy life. When you're ready, we can help by setting realistic expectations and help to create achievable goals.
Healthy weight loss can:
- Lower your risk for diabetes, heart disease and some cancers
- Reduce back and joint pain from carrying excess weight
- Reduce your risk of heart disease or stroke
- Lower blood pressure and cholesterol levels
- Help you live longer
An extensive health history will be done first, to weed out the possibility that any health factors are contributing to your weight and to look into the impact of your weight on your health.
Good nutrition is essential for a healthy body. Eating healthful foods will help nourish your body and give it what it needs. You will meet with a Registered Dietitian who will help you along the way.
Below are some lifestyle recommendations to help you get started:
- Eat three or more servings of non-starchy vegetables each day.
- Most meals should include healthy protein, whole grains, and a fruit or vegetable.
- Avoid skipping meals.
- Drink enough water.
- Eat in a mindful way. Turn off the TV during meals, eat slowly, and pay attention to how your food makes you feel.
These tips will help you in your weight management journey.
Medication options exist to help with weight loss. Medications are not a substitute for a healthful lifestyle but, on an individualized basis, can be used if healthful lifestyle measures have not resulted in reaching realistic weight loss goals. You should not expect to receive a medication on your first visit. An individualized plan will be constructed when you meet with your clinician which will determine if and when to appropriately implement medications.
With the right tools and realistic expectations, you can begin your weight loss journey. Hennepin Healthcare will be here for you for future check-ins and encouragement.