Social, Spiritual, and Grief Resources
Support with new Visitor Restrictions due to COVID-19
Your family may feel stressed with the visitor restrictions we have in place during the COVID pandemic. The restrictions may prevent you and others from visiting and being with your loved in the hospital in the ways you would like. We realize that human connection contributes to healing, and our staff is dedicated to ensuring that your loved one is supported and cared for emotionally and physically.
What you can do:
- Stay connected to your loved one with technology—smartphone, iPad, laptop. We can assist patients who might not be tech-savvy.
- Send or drop off a card, a special picture or other mementos to help your loved one feel connected to home. We will make sure they get delivered.
- Drop off personal care items that bring your loved one comfort. Please know that we will do what we can to protect these personal items but we urge you not to leave anything of high value. It is not possible for us to guarantee the security of personal items at this busy time.
How do I drop off items?
From 8 am to 9 pm, drop your items off at the HCMC Parking Ramp on 6th St and Park Ave. Enter from either 6th or 7th St, go to the second-floor patient drop-off/pick-up and staff will be available inside the door. Parking is free if you exit within 20 minutes.
Thank you for your understanding and please be assured that your loved one’s wellbeing is our #1 priority. We are all family in this stressful time. To reach your loved one’s unit and/or room phone, please call 612-873-3000.
If you would like to speak with a chaplain, call 612-873-2260.
Social Services provide compassionate and individualized social work services to patients and families, promoting justice and access to services, and help to locate resources. The social services staff assess the cultural, social/emotional and community needs of patients to provide the appropriate intervention. They partner with community agencies and patients to offer resources, treatment plans, and long-term care.
The Social Services Department exists to address the psychosocial aspects of health care including health care access; discharge planning; safety related to abuse, neglect, violence, and chemical health; case management and continuity of care; advocacy; grief, loss, and adjustment issues; crisis response; caregiver education and support; and patient and intern/resident education. These services are provided to all inpatient areas of the hospital, except psychiatry, and all outpatient areas except psychiatry and acute psych services (social services in those areas are provided by their own social workers).
The professional chaplains here at Hennepin Healthcare are committed to addressing your spiritual and emotional needs. Our mission is to provide sensitive support to you and your family during your stay here. We recognize that your struggle with illness or injury may initiate a spiritual struggle as well. So, we are here to walk with you through your journey—while respecting your culture, religion, value system, traditions, and the faith community.
How to Contact a Chaplain
Ask your nurse or physician to page the on-call Chaplain at 336-0410. An on-call Chaplain is in-house Monday through Friday 8am-11pm & Saturday and Sunday 8:30am-9pm. For immediate needs all other times, page the same number and a chaplain can come within half an hour.
If you can wait, leave a message at 612-873-2260.
Spiritual Center Location
The newly renovated Spiritual Center is located in the Red Building, Level 2 Skyway, adjacent to the Medical Library Services. The Spiritual Center is open 24 hours a day for patients, families, and staff. The Center is a spiritual space open for people of all faiths and no faith, for prayer, meditation, and quiet time.
Spiritual and Religious Resources
- www.ppcwc.org (local intercultural healing resources)
- www.archspm.org (Catholic Diocese of St. Paul/Minneapolis)
- www.mnchurches.org (members of MN Council of Churches)
- www.blackandchristian.com (national and local resources)
- www.biblegateway.com/versions/Access the Bible in multiple languages
- www.hindumandirmn.org (Hindu Temple of Minnesota)
- www.hmongcc.org (local and national resources)
- www.islamiccentermn.org (local resources)
- www.abuubakar.org (Abubakar As-Saddique Islamic Center)
- www.alhudacenter.org (prayer times, online Qur’an)
- www.mnjamat.org (Ja’afari Islamic Center)
- www.jfcsmpls.org (Jewish Family & Children’s Services)
- www.mavensearch.com (link to local synagogues)
Latter Day Saints
- www.ldschurchtemples.com (link to local resources)
Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender Spiritual Resources
- www.outfront.org (lists MN faith communities and resources)
- www.WelcomingResources.org (Christian & multi-faith resources for LGBTQI)
- www.mnatheists.org (Minnesota Atheists)
Minnesota Native American Resources
- www.indianaffairs.state.mn.us (links to MN bands)
- www.mnsikhs.com (Society of MN Sikhs)
- www.wiccanchurchmn.org (Wicca Church Minnesota)