Group Medical Visits
A focus on health and well-being
Integrative Health Group Visits at Hennepin Healthcare are a fulfilling way to approach your care with a focus on health and well-being from a holistic, integrative, functional medicine perspective. Sharing these appointments among a community of people can result in more confidence, provide more time for questions and dialogue, build upon self-care and learn new mind-body skills, and mindfulness practices and extend the care received in a “one-on-one” patient-provider visit. The integrative providers at Hennepin Healthcare offer several Group Medical Visit series on topics where you can participate in a new way of taking charge of your health and well-being.
Mindfulness for Continuing Health and Wellbeing Monthly Series | Kara Parker, MD
- Eight-monthly, Monday evening appointment series, most 2nd Monday evenings (or otherwise noted on the flyer) from May 8 – December 11, 2023, from 5:45 – 7:45 pm.
- Offered as a monthly Group Medical Visit series, online via Zoom through MyChart.
Download the flyer for Mindfulness for Continuing Health and Wellbeing
Tame Your Pain Beyond Medication | Sue Haddow, MD
Tame your pain entire being (body/mind/spirit), this Group Medial Visit series will explore easing pain through emotional wellness from various perspectives including cognitive-based psychology and integrative and functional medicine. Healing from the heart.
- Eight–weekly, Tuesday afternoon appointments series from 1:30 – 3:30 pm, February 14 – April 11 (no visit on February 28), 2023.
- This in-person series is at Whittier Clinic.
Download the flyer for Tame Your Pain Beyond Medication
Rest and Renewal Lifestyle | Kara Parker, MD
- Six–weekly, Wednesday morning appointment series from 10 am – 12:00 pm
- Explore integrative therapies and healing practices for stress management, nutrition, sleep, movement, and connection as we look at the importance of rest and renewal from a whole-person, functional medicine perspective.
- Online via Zoom through MyChart
Download the flyer for Rest and Renewal
Blood Sugar Balance; Living with and Preventing Diabetes, Heart, and Brain Disease with Integrative Medicine | Stefanie Stevenson, MD
- Blood sugar balance plays a key role in these chronic conditions.
- Eight–weekly, Thursday morning appointment series July 20 – September 21 (skipping July 27 and September 7) in-person at Whittier Clinic from 9:45 – 11:45 am.
- This in-person series is at Whittier Clinic.
Download the flyer for Blood Sugar Balance
Download the flyer for Blood Sugar Balance Quarterly Drop-in, for past participants who may want more support, and for those new to group medical visit participants who want to try it out online through MyChart via Zoom.
Easing Pain Holistically: Muscle and Joint Pain | Kate Shafto, MD
Easing Pain Holistically: Muscles and Joints, knowing that pain affects our entire being (body/mind/spirit), this Group Medial Visit series will explore easing muscle and joint pain through integrative, functional, and mind-body medicine approaches and resources.
- Eight–weekly Thursday afternoon appointments series from 1:30 – 3:30 pm. Begins on August 3 – September 28, 2023 (no visit on August 24)
- This in-person series is at the Whittier Clinic.
Download the flyer for Easing Pain Holistically: Muscle and Joint Pain
Life Beyond Cancer Group Medical Visit Drop-ins, Check-ins | Stefanie Stevenson, MD
This group medical visit series is for individuals who have experienced a cancer diagnosis.
- for past participants who may want more support and for those new to group medical visits who may want to try these group medical visits out.
- Learn about the effects of stress, sleep, and nutritional needs, explore mind-body skills, incorporate safe physical movement, and find shared social support in this dynamic group setting.
- Quarterly, Thursday mornings appointments from 8:00 – 9:30 am, via Zoom
Download the flyer for Life Beyond Cancer Quarterly Drop-in, Check-ins
What happens in a Group Visit?
A group visit is just like a visit with your doctor/provider. The difference is that the visit is with a group of people (average 10 – 16) together seeing the doctor/providers. Group Visits are about focusing on your health and wellness goals as it relates to your conditions and health concerns. In these longer appointments (1.5 – 2 hours), you can ask questions of the providers and learn from each other in the group and get support from your community. Each visit includes facilitated mindfulness and mind-body skills practices for well-being which you may choose to practice at home.
Schedule Group Visit Appointments if you:
- are a registered patient with Hennepin Healthcare (you do not have to have your primary doctor in the Hennepin Healthcare System. Call 612-873-8048 to register with Hennepin Healthcare.)
- are interested in holistic, integrative, and functional health and well-being resources
- want community support from others, can manage to be in a small group setting, and plan to attend all virtual or in-person
- and you are covered by Medicaid/Medicare, Medical Assistance, and Hennepin Healthcare / Hennepin County employee plans. Co-pays and deductibles apply similarly to one-on-one level 2, 3, or 4 primary doctor’s visits. Check with your insurance provider as to whether your insurer covers seeing a primary provider at Hennepin Healthcare.