Andrew Shaffer, MD, MS
Commitment to Patient-Centered Care
“My goal is to provide world-class cardiac surgical care with a compassionate, patient-focused team, excellent operative facilities, and clinically pertinent research efforts.”
Dr. Shaffer’s interests and areas of expertise include mechanical circulatory support, heart failure, and ventricular assist devices, heart and lung transplantation, aortic root repair and aortic reconstructions, adult congenital cardiac surgery, and transcatheter endovascular surgery.
- Shaffer AW, Voeller R, Reed AB. Repair of aortic coarctation. Endovascular Today, 2018; 17(11), 54-58.
- Sabbagh A, Gray B, Shaffer A, Bryner B, Church J, McLeod J, Zakem S, Perkins E, Shellhaas R, Barks J, Rojas-Pena A, Bartlett R, Mychaliska G. Cerebral Oxygenation of Premature Lambs Supported by an Artificial Placenta. ASAIO Journal; online ahead of print. DOI: 10.1097/MAT.0000000000000676. 9/2018 in print.
- Shaffer AW, Shumway SJ. (Invited Editorial) To clip, or not to clip? Prophylactic left atrial appendage ligation should be performed in patients with, or at risk for, atrial fibrillation. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2018; 156(3):1069-1070.
- Gott VL, Moller JH, Shaffer, AW, Shumway SJ. Cross-circulation and the early days of cardiac surgery. Ann Surg. 2018 May 12. doi: 10.1097/SLA.0000000000002760. [Epub ahead of print].
- El-Sabbagh A, Gray B, Shaffer A, Bryner B, Church J, McLeod J, Zakem S, Perkins E, Shellhaas R, Barks J, Rojas-Pena A, Bartlett R, Mychaliska G. Cerebral Oxygenation of Premature Lambs Supported by an Artificial Placenta. ASAIO Journal, epub September 2017.
- University of North Dakota School of Medicine & Health Sciences, Grand Forks, ND, USA
- General Surgery, Beaumont Health Systems, Oakland University William Beaumont School of Medicine, Royal Oak, MI, USA
- Cardiothoracic Surgery, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN, USA
- Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation, University of Michigan - Robert Bartlett MD Research Lab, Ann Arbor, MI, USA
- American College of Surgeons
- Society of Thoracic Surgery
- Thoracic Surgery Residents Association
- C. Walton and Richard C. Lillehei Surgical Society
- Board certified in General Surgery
- Board Certified in Thoracic Surgery
- Assistant Professor, Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Department of Surgery, University of Minnesota
- MS, North Dakota State University, Department of Polymers and Coatings and Department of Chemistry, Fargo, ND
- 2012: First Battalion Army Medal of Recognition, Royal Oak, MI
- 2002: Cum Laude, Concordia College, Moorhead, MN
- 2001: “Most Electrifying Player of the Game”, Moorhead Power Bowl, Moorhead, MN
- 2000-2001: Academic All-MIAC, Football, and Track & Field
“I enjoy biking, running, and time with family.”