Commitment to Patient-Centered Care
“I enjoy connecting with patients, figuring out their treatment goals and finding ways to keep them healthy and active.”
Dr. Downes is an orthopedic surgeon who specializes in foot and ankle injuries and conditions, women’s health, fitness, nutrition and bone health.
- Mazzuca JW, Yonke B, Downes JM, Miner M. Flouroscopic arthrography versus MR arthrography of the lesser metatarsophalangeal joints for the detection of tears of the plantar plate and joint capsule: a prospective comparative study. Foot Ankle Int. 2013 Feb;34(2):200-9. Impact factor: 1.626, Sum of Times Cited: 5, Contribution: Conducted literature research, Data acquisition, Manuscript preparation, Manuscript editing, Manuscript review.
- Downes JM, Rauk PN, Van Heest AE. Occupational Hazards for Pregnant or Lactating Women in the Orthopedic Operating Room. JAAOS. 2014 May; 22 (5):326-332. Impact Factor: 2.527, Sum of Times Cited: 2, Contribution: Defined intellectual content, Conducted literature review, Data acquisition, Manuscript preparation, Manuscript editing, Manuscript review.
- Downes JM, Non-operative Treatment of Foot and Ankle Fractures. HCMC Physician’s Assistant Trauma Conference; November 6, 2015; Minneapolis, MN.
- Downes JM, Osteochondral Lesions of the Talus. HCMC Physicians Trauma Conference; November 17, 2016; Minneapolis, MN.
- Downes, JM, Treatment of Acute Achilles Tendon Rupture. HCMC Physicians Trauma Conference; November 17, 2016; Minneapolis, MN.
- Nathan, Almeida, Schuller, Downes JM, Cerebral Air Embolism Resulting from an Airplane Flight. American College of Physicians Scientific Meeting; 2006; Omaha, NE.
- Emerging Leaders Program
- Minnesota Orthopedic Society
- America Orthopedic Foot and Ankle Society
- American Orthopaedic Association
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Board certified in orthopedic surgery by the American Board of Orthopedic Surgery
- Fellowship in Foot and Ankle Surgery, University of Alabama, Birmingham
- University of Minnesota Orthopaedic Surgery Department Delegate to the AOA-OREF Resident Leadership Forum, 2012
- Third Place, American College of Physicians, Nebraska Poster Competition: Cerebral Air Embolism Resulting From an Airplane Flight, 2006
“I have an active family, including my husband Mike, our daughter Clare and son, Mason. I am a runner and have completed several marathons and half marathons. I enjoy yoga and pilates for strength training. Because of my own health struggles with insulin resistance and pre-diabetes, I have done extensive research on eating for health. I believe in using food to improve and treat conditions such as diabetes, vitamin D3 deficiency, insulin resistance, obesity and inflammation.”