Commitment to Patient-Centered Care
“I am committed to providing the best possible evidence-based care for every patient that enters Hennepin County Medical Center while simultaneously treating the human elements of pain, suffering and illness.”
Dr. Cole practices the breadth and depth of Emergency Medicine, regularly treating patients of all ages and backgrounds. He focuses his practice on sedation, medication safety, and poison-induced cardiogenic shock. As medical director of the Minnesota Poison Control System, he also practices a broad range of Medical Toxicology.
- Martel ML, Klein LR, Rivard RL, Cole JB. A Large Retrospective Cohort of Patients Receiving Intravenous Olanzapine in the Emergency Department. Acad Emerg Med. 2016 Jan;23(1):29-35.
- Cole JB, Heegaard WG, Deeds JR, McGrath SC, Handy SM. Tetrodotoxin Poisoning Outbreak from Imported Dried Puffer Fish, Minneapolis, Minnesota, 2014. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2015 Jan 2; 63 (51&52): 1222-5.
- Cole JB, Stellpflug SJ, Engebretsen KM. Asystole Immediately Following Intravenous Fat Emulsion for Overdose. J Med Toxicol. 2014 Sep; 10(3): 307-10.
- Cole JB, Stellpflug SJ, Ellsworth H, Anderson CP, Adams AB, Engebretsen KM, Holger JS. A blinded, randomized, controlled trial of three doses of high dose insulin in poison-induced cardiogenic shock. Clin Toxicol. 2013 May; 51(4): 201-7.
- Cole JB, Stellpflug SJ, Ellsworth H, Harris CR. Reversal of Quetiapine-Induced Altered Mental Status with Physostigmine: A Case Series. Am J Emerg Med. 2012 Jul; 30(6): 950-3.
- University of Colorado, Denver, CO, USA
- Emergency Medicine, Hennepin Healthcare, Minneapolis, MN, USA
- Medical Toxicology, Regions Hospital, St. Paul, MN, USA
Media, Newsletters and Videos
- Mayo Clinic: Single 16-ounce energy drink can increase blood pressure ‘significantly’, Fox 9
- Be Careful When Mushroom Hunting, News8000.com
- Food Prep Tips for a Healthy Thanksgiving Meal, HCMC News Blog
- Poison Hazards During the Holidays, KARE 11
- Keep the Alcohol Out of Reach of Kids this New Year’s Eve, Minnesota News Network
- American College of Emergency Physicians
- Society for Academic Emergency Medicine
- American College of Medical Toxicology
- American Academy of Clinical Toxicology
- American Association of Poison Control Centers
- Board certified in Emergency Medicine by the American Board of Emergency Medicine
- Board certified in Medical Toxicology by the American Board of Emergency Medicine
- Associate Professor of Emergency Medicine, University of Minnesota Medical School
- Recognized by Mpls St Paul Magazine as a Top Doctor
- Rising Stars edition in 2015 and 2016
- Emergency Medicine Faculty teaching award winner, 2012, Hennepin County Medical Center Residency in Emergency Medicine
- Two time winner of the American College of Medical Toxicology’s Clinical Pathological Competition 2013 and 2011
- North American Congress of Clinical Toxicology Outstanding Young Investigator Award, 2011
- Ernie Ruiz Award recipient for Outstanding graduating resident, Hennepin County Medical Center Residency in Emergency Medicine 2009
- Chief Resident, Emergency Medicine, Hennepin County Medical Center, 2008-2009