Commitment to Patient-Centered Care
“My passion is to provide clinical care based on evidence-based approaches, to understand what is affecting a patient at the molecular level and translate that into an effective solution to improve health and wellbeing.”
Dr. Debes specializes in caring for patients with liver diseases, particularly those with viral hepatitis, cirrhosis, liver cancer and hepatic problems secondary to immune disorders. He divides his time between caring for clinic patients and advancing research in viral hepatitis and liver cancer at a global level.
- Debes JD, Boonstra A, Balderramo D, Mattos AZ, Arrese M. Hepatobiliary cancers in South America, where disparity strikes. Lancet Gastroenterol Hepatol, 2019 Aug;4(8):581. doi: 10.1016/S2468-1253(19)30188-8.
- Debes JD, van Tilborg M, Groothuismink Z, de Knegt R, Boonstra A. Serum immune signatures associated with HCC development in DAA-treated HCV patients. Gastroenterology, 2018 Feb;154(3):515-517.e3. doi: 10.1053.
- Debes JD, Singh D. Beyond one virus: vaccination against hepatitis B after hepatitis C treatment. Lancet Infect Dis. 2018 Mar;18(3):246-247.
- Chan AJ, Balderramo D, Kikuchi L, Ballerga EG, Prieto JE, Tapias M, Idrovo V, Davalos MB, Cairo F, Barreyro FJ, Yang JD, Carrera E, Mattos AZ, Carrilho FJ, Roberts LR, Debes JD. Early-age hepatocellular carcinoma associated with hepatitis B infection in South America. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol, 2017, May 19. doi: 10.1016.
- Debes JD, Pisano MB, Lotto M, Re V. Hepatitis E virus infection in the HIV-positive patient. J Clin Virol. 2016 Jun 23. pii: S1386-6532(16).
- Universidad Nacional de Cordoba, CORDOBA, ARGENTINA
- Internal Medicine, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN, USA
- F32-National Institute of Health, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN, USA
- Gastroenterology and Hepatology, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN, USA
- American Association for the Study of Liver Disease
- European Association for the Study of the Liver
- American College of Gastroenterology
- American Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene
- Escalon Team Member, Escalon
- Network Director, African Network for Hepatitis B Awareness and Education
- Founder & Coordinator, South American Liver Research Network
- Board-certified in Internal Medicine and Gastroenterology
- Assistant Professor, University of Minnesota
- Assistant Professor, Erasmus-MC the Netherlands
- Scholar, Harold Amos Medical Faculty Development Program
- Director, South American Liver Research Network
- Director, African Hepatitis B Network
- Coordinator, ESCALON Program
“I enjoy traveling, running and biking.”