Commitment to Patient-Centered Care
“I am deeply committed to each patient’s story and exploring their unique healing journey. I believe in empowering patients to take greater control of their health and healing through evidence-based interventions in various domains of a person’s lifestyle. My approach to patient care involves listening to your story and partnering with you to enable healing in body, mind, and spirit.”
Dr. Shafto is board-certified in Internal Medicine, Pediatrics and Integrative Medicine. She has practiced in Hospital Medicine for both Adult and Pediatric patients for six years before doing a fellowship in Integrative Medicine and developing an outpatient practice focused on chronic disease management through lifestyle interventions. She is passionate about optimizing the power of lifestyle as medicine. She has developed a course called Food Matters which provides experiential nutrition and food-skills education for graduate-level health professional students and practicing providers at the University of Minnesota’s Center for Spirituality and Healing.
- Shafto, K, Reimagining Nutrition Education in a teaching kitchen. Minnesota Medicine, Sept/Oct 2016.
- Shafto, K, A Recipe for Wellbeing: Improving Provider Wellbeing, Eating Habits and Nutrition Knowledge Through a Brief Experiential Cooking Course. Poster presentation, AAP National Conference October 2019.
- Shafto, K, From the Kitchen to the Clinic: feeding the health of providers (and their patients) through experiential nutrition education for health professionals. Oral Presentation at International Cook and Health Conference, Lisbon Portugal October 2019.
- University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, NE, USA
- Internal Medicine, University of Illinois College of Medicine/St. Francis Medical Center, Peoria, IL, USA
- Pediatrics, University of Illinois College of Medicine/St. Francis Medical Center, Peoria, IL, USA
- Integrative Medicine, Arizona Center for Integrative Medicine, Tuscon, AZ, USA
Media, Newsletters and Videos
- Academic Consortium of Integrative Health and Medicine
- Minnesota Holistic Medicine Association
- American Academy of Pediatrics
- American College of Physicians
- Educational Excellence Award, Department of Internal Medicine 2017
- Resident of the Year 2010
“I am a beginning organic farmer with my husband through the Minnesota Food Association/Big River Farms and love seeing how the health of the earth and our food are directly tied to human health. I enjoy being in nature, hiking, biking, music, speaking Spanish and engaging in Latin culture.”