Commitment to Patient-Centered Care
“I think the best approach to patient-centered care is to treat each patient as if they are a member of your family. I am sometimes asked if I would recommend a particular treatment for a family member. This is a reasonable question to ask if there are a couple alternative treatments, but often there is just one recommended treatment. I tell them yes, absolutely, and that I could not imagine proposing surgery or other treatments that I wouldn’t recommend for myself or my family if we were in their situation.”
Dr. Odland is a general otolaryngologist and enjoys many areas of otolaryngology. He has special expertise in facial trauma. He has developed several innovative methods of trauma care.He was a Diving Medical Officer in the Navy and has particular interest in treatment of diving injuries as they relate to the sinuses and ears.
- Eisler L, Wearda K, Romatoski K, Odland RM, Morbidity and Cost of Odontogenic Infections. Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, 149(1) 84, 88, 2013.
- Van De Heyning PH, Badr MS, Baskin JZ, Cramer Bornemann MA, De Backer WA, Dotan Y, Hohenhorst W, Knaack L, Lin H-S, Maurer JT, Netzer A, Odland RM, Oliven A, Strohl KP, Vanderveken OM, Verbraecken J, Woodson BT, Implanted upper airway stimulation device for obstructive sleep apnea, Laryngoscope, 122, 2012, 1626-163.
- Flanagan CF, Daramola OO, Maisel RH, Adkinson C, Odland RM, Surgical Debridement and Adjunctive Hyperbaric Oxygen in Cervical Necrotizing Fasciitis, Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, 140, 2009, 730-4.
- Janus SC, Stephen P. R. MacLeod SPR, Odland RM, Analysis of Results in Early Versus Late Midface Fracture Repair, Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, 138, 2008, 464-7.
- Arnold M, Chu E, Odland RM. Skin Flap Physiology and Wound Healing, in Cummings Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Sixth Ed., St. Louis, C.V. Mosby Co. 2015.
- Creighton University, Omaha, NE, USA
- Otolaryngology, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN, USA
- Professor, Department of Otolaryngology, University Of Minnesota
- Fellow, American College of Surgeons
- American Academy of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery
- Minnesota Academy of Otolaryngology
- American Board of Otolaryngology
- American Board Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- 2015 Best Doctors Minnesota Monthly
- Past President, Minnesota Academy of Otolaryngology
“I enjoy being outdoors, especially if I can be with my children or grandchildren. I particularly love being on the water.”