To support our Medicine Clinic, the Acute Care Clinic was established to assist in urgent same-day needs of acute (sick) adults (age 18+). Some patients seen in the Acute Care Clinic have established primary care at Hennepin Healthcare and simply need a same or next-day appointment and are unable to see their regular provider. Some patients are not established at Hennepin Healthcare but have a medical issue needing same or next-day treatment or evaluation. The Acute Care Clinic is also able to refill many medications.
Call the Connections Center at 612-873-6963 to help guide you to this clinic if it is the best place at the right time for the right reason. This clinic is located in by the Internal Medicine Clinic in the Clinic & Specialty Center.
Common conditions for Acute Care Clinic visits (but not limited to):
- Unintended weight loss
- Edema (swelling)
- Medication refills (NOT controlled substances such as opiates, benzodiazepines, ADHD meds)
- Rashes and skin infections
- Upper Respiratory infections
- COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease) exacerbations
- Pneumonia and other lower respiratory tract infections
- Sexually transmitted infections
- Missed menses
- Urinary tract infections (including Pyelonephritis)
- Kidney stones
- Allergic conditions
- Thyroid disease
- Musculoskeletal pain
- Gastrointestinal diseases (acid reflux, liver issues, acute stomach flu or abdominal pain, diarrhea, blood in stool)
- New masses
- Abnormal labs or imaging results discovered in the ED or primary care clinic setting
This is a hospital-based clinic owned by Hennepin Healthcare. Many insurance plans pay for health care services provided in a hospital-based clinic differently than those provided in a doctor’s office. Your insurance may require that you meet your annual deductible and/or require that you pay a percentage of the bill rather than just an office visit co-payment. You should check with your insurance company if you have any questions. Read the Frequently asked questions about hospital-based clinics to learn more.