Post-Acute COVID-19 Recovery at Hennepin Healthcare
Here for LIFE
Hennepin Healthcare is dedicated to responding to the needs of our community members who have experienced COVID-19 illness. If you have been diagnosed with COVID-19 and have symptoms that are lasting longer than 4 weeks (after being diagnosed or after leaving the hospital) you may benefit from post COVID specialty services through Post-COVID-19 Recovery Clinic. If you have not yet returned to your pre-COVID life, we are here to help.
Recovering from long term COVID-19 symptoms (sometimes called “post-acute COVID-19 syndrome”, “Long COVID” or “post-acute sequelae of SARS-CoV-2 infection (PASC)”) is not like recovering from other illnesses. People dealing with “post-COVID-19 syndrome” referred to as “long haulers” may benefit from specialized support to recover more quickly and more fully. The common symptoms reported after COVID-19 illness include:
- Shortness of breath
- Brain fog
- Problems with memory or ability to pay attention
- Feelings of anxiety, depression, or nightmares/flashbacks
If you are experiencing any of these symptoms or any of the limitations listed below, we are here to help. Any providers at Hennepin Healthcare can refer patients to individual medical specialties/services listed below or to the Post-COVID-19 Recovery Clinic. In our Post-COVID-19 Recovery Clinic, Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation providers will work with you to identify the specialty services that would best meet your needs. Our coordinated team approach will address your specific needs and help you get back to the things you were able to do before your COVID illness.
Other medical specialties or services that may be recommended include:
- Primary Care Behavioral Health/Psychiatry
- Sleep Medicine
- Social Work
Outpatient Rehabilitation Services that may be recommended
Physical Therapy (PT)
If you answer “Yes” to any of the following questions, PT may be helpful:
- Are you limited in any of these things because of your COVID illness?
- walking the same distance as you normally would
- standing for longer periods because of weakness or fatigue
- climbing/using the stairs
- normal daily household activities
- returning to work or community activities because of weakness or fatigue
- Do you have any balance problems or dizziness?
- Do you have anxiety about returning to your usual physical activity?
- Have you had any falls since your COVID diagnosis?
- If you have been monitoring your oxygen level, does it fall below 90%?
Occupational Therapy (OT)
If you answer “Yes” to any of the following questions, OT may be helpful:
- Are you struggling to do your basic self-cares (grooming, dressing, toileting, bathing, etc.) because of your COVID illness?
- Are you having difficulty with any other activities--things like driving, working, school, cleaning, cooking, shopping, paying bills, following up on medical needs (appointments, medications, recommendations) or caring for others (children, parents, etc.)?
- Do you have any hand or arm weakness or limitations in how long you can use your hands or arms?
Speech Language Pathology (SLP)
If you answer “Yes” to any of the following questions, SLP may be helpful:
- Do you have any difficulty swallowing or does coughing occur when eating or drinking?
- Do you notice any persistent/ongoing issues with your voice?
- Have you noticed changes with your thinking, such as problems with memory or ability to pay attention?
If you have any concerns about the symptoms or limitations mentioned above, please discuss these with your primary care provider.
We also offer group medical visits led by an integrative medicine doctor to help you regain your health through integrative and functional medicine and lifestyle practices. You may also email or call 612-269-0446.
To make an appointment for Post-COVID-19 Recovery, request a referral from your Hennepin Healthcare primary care provider. If you are a non-Hennepin patient, please have your provider fax a referral to 612-873-8437. Once a referral is made, our scheduler will reach out to you for an appointment.
If you have any questions about the clinic or the services connected to it, please feel free to call 612-873-4037.