Level I Adult and Pediatric Trauma Center
We have decades of experience caring for children and adolescents with traumatic injuries. We are verified as a Level I Adult and Pediatric Trauma Center by the American College of Surgeons (ACS). This verification—the highest possible—recognizes our distinctive expertise in caring for critically ill and injured children. In 1989, we became Minnesota's first Level I Trauma Center for both adults and children. Since then, we have continued a strong tradition of providing state-of-the-art trauma care to all of our patients, including the youngest and most vulnerable.
Services uniquely positioned to provide the very best in pediatric trauma care
When an accident or injury happens, we want children to have the very best care. As a Level I Adult and Pediatric Trauma Center, Hennepin Healthcare has everything in place and ready to care for seriously injured children - from the time of injury through rehabilitation. This high level of preparation can significantly increase a seriously injured patient’s chances of survival and optimal recovery.
When it comes to pediatric trauma care, our medical specialists work as a unified team to assess and manage the needs of children and adolescents. We provide:
- Prompt availability of physicians from varying specialties: orthopedic surgery, neurosurgery, plastic surgery, anesthesiology, emergency medicine, radiology, oral and maxillofacial surgery, pediatric critical care
- 24-hour in-house coverage by general surgeons
- A pediatric operating room that is always available
- Priority status for pediatric lab work and radiology
- Experienced, highly trained pediatric trauma nursing staff and trauma nurse clinicians
- Pediatric subspecialties include:
- Infectious disease
- Growth and nutrition
- Plastic surgery
- Psychiatry and psychology
Patients have access to pediatric Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy and Speech Language-Pathology.
We have full time child life specialists, as well as a trauma social worker and pediatric social worker.
We provide low-dose radiology treatment, which includes techniques, programs and practices to ensure the best image quality while reducing radiation to the child and delivering only what's needed to get a clear image. This often results in being able to reduce the patients' exposure by one-half or even down to one-tenth of would normally be used.