Commitment to Patient-Centered Care
“It’s a privilege to hear patient stories and to use best practices to manage health problems and work toward health. My patients have taught me to listen not only to a review of symptoms, but to other concerns that can affect wellbeing. Together, we prioritize and start a plan, check to see if it’s working or needs to be tweaked or overhauled! It can be a challenge to get the right care at the right time in the right place, but my clinic doesn’t give up.”
As a general internist, Dr. Coffey provides care for adults in clinic, hospital and nursing home settings. With a background in occupational therapy before medical school, she brings a practical approach and focus on function and a biopsychosocial model to care. She has particular interests in prevention, chronic disease management, the integration of medical and psychiatric care, and care of older adults.
- Linzer M, Popkin M, Coffey E.The Hennepin County Medical Center Medical Psychiatry Program: Reversing the shortened lifespan of patients with mental illness. Peer reviewed, JGIM 2013; 28(3): 466-469.
- Shroff G, Linzer M, Baker K, Poplau S, Coffey E, Baum I, Yoder, P, Clifford D. Electrocardiographic abnormalities as potential contributors to premature mortality in patients with mental illness in a psychiatric day treatment program. Prim Care Companion CNS Disord. 2013; 15(3): e1-e5.
- Coffey E, Moscovice I, Finch M et al. Captivated Medicaid and the process of care of elderly hypertensives and diabetics: Results from a randomized trial. Am J Med 1995; 98 (6): 531-536.
- Coffey E, Schneider E. My tooth is killing me! Over the counter analgesic risks and hepatitis C. Published abstracts, JGIM 2003 18(Supplement 1):4.
- Coffey E, Lurie N, Moscovice I et al. Management of hypertension and diabetes in Medicaid elderly: Does HMO enrollment make a difference? Clin Res 1991: 29(2) 598.
- University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN, USA
- Internal Medicine, Hennepin Healthcare, Minneapolis, MN, USA
- American College of Physicians
- Board certified in Internal Medicine
- Assistant Professor of Medicine, University of Minnesota Medical School
- Department of Medicine, Clinical Excellence Award, Hennepin Healthcare, 2005
- Medical Student Achievement Award, Minnesota Medical Foundation, University of Minnesota, 1991
- Colleague of the Month, Department of Medicine, Hennepin Healthcare, 2018
- Distinguished Alumni Award, University of Minnesota, 2020
- Top Doctors Award, Minneapolis/St. Paul Magazine, 2008 – 2020
- Best Doctor Award, Minnesota Monthly, 2016, 2018
- Super Doctor Award, Minneapolis/St. Paul Magazine, 2012 – 2018
“I love the best of our four seasons in Minnesota! I like to be outside, hearing live music, and exploring new places locally and beyond.”