Commitment to Patient-Centered Care
“As a nurse-midwife, I feel privileged to partner with my patients regarding their healthcare. I am committed to providing care that is equitable, respectful and culturally sensitive. I promote a shared decision-making model and commit to advocating on my patient’s behalf. I am humbled by the trust my patients place in me and am dedicated to serving the most vulnerable with the dignity that they deserve.”
Marcia is a nurse-midwife who has spent more than 20 years working with diverse populations both internationally and domestically. She has worked as a nurse-midwife caring for Native American patients in the southwest US and has provided prenatal care and labor support in Africa and Latin America. She has worked as a perinatal educator and trainer in four countries (Mexico, Guatemala, Mozambique, US) and in three languages (Spanish, Portuguese, English) and has experience co-facilitating group prenatal care. Prior to becoming a midwife, Marcia worked in public health. She brings 15 years’ experience living and working in Latin America and Africa and reads, writes, and speaks advanced-level Spanish, reads and speaks intermediate-level Portuguese, and has basic French. Ms. Monterroso has served as Adjunct Clinical Faculty at the University of New Mexico College of Nursing and has received multiple awards and honors from various organizations including the Emory University Global Health Institute, the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the US Department of State, and the US Embassy in Maputo, Mozambique.
- Walker, D.M., Cohen, S.R., Estrada, F., Monterroso, M.E., Jenny, A. Fritz, J., Fahey, J.O. (2012). PRONTO training for obstetric and neonatal emergencies in Mexico, International Journal of Gynecology and Obstetrics, 116, 128-133. February.
- Trombos, A., Jordan, B., Monterroso, M.E. (2007). Cultural competence: An international perspective, Contraception, 75 (5), 325-327. May.
- American College of Nurse Midwives
- MN Affiliate of the American College of Nurse Midwives
- Global Alliance for Nursing and Midwifery
- Bachelors of Arts in Biology/Women’s Health Studies, St. Olaf College
- Masters of Science in Public Health, Harvard University
- Bachelors of Science in Nursing, Emory University
- Masters of Science in Nursing/Nurse-Midwifery, Frontier University
- Certified Nurse-Midwife, American Midwifery Certification Board
“When not working, I enjoy spending time with family and friends. I have three young adult children. I enjoy hiking, singing, swimming, cooking and baking, reading, practicing yoga and meditating.”