Our obstetricians and gynecologists, certified nurse midwives, Family Medicine providers and women’s health nurse practitioners specialize in caring for women. We are trained to care for women with both uncomplicated pregnancies and those which are medically complex. In addition, we have maternal-fetal medicine specialists who collaborate with our clinicians to ensure that women with the most medically challenging issues get the best of care.
Family-centered maternity care
Hennepin Healthcare is committed to partnering with women and families to create a remarkable birth experience. We know that the birth of a child is a momentous event and recognize what a true honor it is to be a part of that special time. We practice thoughtful, evidence-based care and work with women and families to create an experience that is tailored to their preferences and needs.
We are proud to offer a variety of prenatal and birth experiences. We have compassionate and highly skilled physicians, certified nurse-midwives, nurse practitioners, and nurses to meet every care need. As a part of our commitment to providing exceptional care to women, we train the next generation of healthcare professionals. As Minnesota’s premier teaching hospital, you can expect expert and innovative care.
We invite you to take a free tour of the Birth Center and meet our staff!
Baby-Friendly Hospital designation
The Baby-Friendly Hospital Initiative (BFHI) is part of a global program sponsored by the World Health Organization (WHO) and the United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF). In order to become Baby-Friendly, a hospital must implement the "Ten Steps" and follow the "WHO code." After a two-day site visit, Baby-Friendly USA awarded HCMC with the Baby-Friendly Hospital designation.
Baby-Friendly care means:
- We put family-centered care into practice by respecting every family’s choices about their upcoming birth experience. We provide consistent and accurate information so that mother’s can make informed choices.
- We individually educate each expectant mother about the benefits of breastfeeding, how to recognize infant feeding cues and soothe their babies.
- We make sure that mother and baby have skin-to-skin contact immediately after both vaginal and cesarean deliveries to promote the bonding and health benefits for moms and babies.
- We room mothers and babies together throughout their hospital stay.
- All families are taught how to safely feed their babies.
This is a hospital-based clinic owned by Hennepin Healthcare. Many insurance plans pay for health care services provided in a hospital-based clinic differently than those provided in a doctor’s office. Your insurance may require that you meet your annual deductible and/or require that you pay a percentage of the bill rather than just an office visit co-payment. You should check with your insurance company if you have any questions. Read the Frequently asked questions about hospital-based clinics to learn more.