Commitment to Patient-Centered Care
“Communication is most important to me. I strive to provide information, counseling, and guidance to patients so that we can make the best medical decisions together. It is important to always be honest with my patients, even when the information is difficult to hear. No matter what happens, I am motivated to provide the best care possible.”
Dr. Maiser is board-certified in neurology, clinical neurophysiology, hospice, and palliative medicine. He cares for patients with neurologic conditions in the clinic as well as patients with a serious illness while hospitalized. He has a special interest in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, clinical research, as well as extensive experience in training resident and fellow physicians and medical students.
- Sethi A, Everett E, Mehta A, Besbris J, Burke C, Pedowitz E, Kilpatrick M, Foster L, Maiser S. The Role of Specialty Palliative Care for Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis. Am J Hosp Palliat Care. 2021 Sep 28:10499091211049386. doi: 10.1177/10499091211049386. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 34583569.
- Phillips JN, Besbris J, Foster LA, Kramer NM, Maiser S, Mehta AK. Models of outpatient neuropalliative care for patients with amyotrophic lateral Sclerosis. Neurology. 2020 Oct 27;95(17):782-788.
- Everett EA, Pedowitz E, Maiser S, Cohen J, Besbris J, Mehta AK, Chi L, Jones CA. Top Ten Tips Palliative Care Clinicians Should Know About Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis. J Palliat Med. 2020;23(6):842-847.
- Maiser, S. Wise Shoes to Fill: A Fellow’s Reflection. Journal of Palliative Medicine 2015; 18(6).
- Maiser S, Marks S. Hospice for Parkinson Disease: Are we moving too slowly? 2014 Hospiscript quarterly publication.
- Maiser S. Residency Training: Teaching Communication? Residency is not too late. Neurology 2013; 80: e127-129.
- University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN, USA
- Neurology, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN, USA
- Clinical Neurophysiology, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN, USA
- Hospice and Palliative Medicine, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI, USA
- Board Certified in Neurology
- Board Certified in Clinical Neurophysiology
- ALS, Hennepin Healthcare Research Institute
- Board Certified in Hospice and Palliative Medicine
- Medical Director for the ALS center of Excellence
- Chief Resident, Neurology Residency, University of Minnesota, 2013
- Kennedy Teaching Award, Neurology, University of Minnesota, 2017
- Top Doc, 2017-2022
- Rising Star, 2018-2022
“I was born and raised in Minnesota. I spend my free time with my wife, family, and friends. I also enjoy being in nature and traveling when I get the chance.”