Emergency and Critical Care Education
Tactical Emergency Medical Peace Officer (TEMPO) and First Responders refresher courses provide instruction and skills that can be used by patrol personnel and field investigators.
This course is not designed to replace a formal tactical program for SWAT teams but should be considered a force multiplier of tactical medical personnel.
These courses cover basic EMT & First Responder topics required for Minnesota refresher certification and are taught by well-qualified faculty. The faculty collectively has decades of experience in emergency patient care, tactical EMS, and law enforcement operations.
Available only to sworn law enforcement personnel, these courses are unlike any standard EMT Refresher course. The course will enable you to use the skills developed and apply them specifically to your occupational setting. Following successful program completion, your certification is valid for a period of two years. First Responders are required to attend the complete three-day course. Officer may encounter light to moderate physical activity during this course.
TEMPO Tactical Emergency Care (TEC)
This one-day course follows the guidelines of the USDOT First Responder National Standard Curriculum and the Prehospital Trauma Life Support Military Edition. This 8-hour course will train a student to respond under austere, occupation-specific conditions to provide tactical life-saving interventions. Emphasis will be placed upon introducing basic tactical and medical knowledge. This curriculum includes skills necessary for the individual to provide emergency medical care with a limited amount of equipment. After successful completion of the program, the student will be capable of performing the following functions:
- Recognize and treat the top three preventable injuries that result in fatal outcomes for Law Enforcement officers (LEOsa )
- Recognize and manage persons that may be experiencing altered mental status for a variety of reasons
- Learn to utilize bag valve mask (BVM) and rescue breathing, as well as administration of Naloxone for opioid overdose
- Effectively and safely perform Medical Life Saving Interventions when appropriate
Overview of Course Plan
- EMT & First Responder Basic Refresher (fulfills National and MN requirements)
- Certificate issued upon completion
- Occupation-specific emergency medical training
- Scenario-based skill evaluations and instruction
- Course design specific to Law Enforcement personnel
- Low student to instructor ratio for continuous feedback
- Expanded Instruction on additional medical topics such as critical illness recognition and treatment; Officer Survival Physiology; Self Care/Partner Care; Tactical Evacuation; Critical Decision drills; Care about Conducted Electrical Weapon application
- Approximately 50% of the course is field based on the use of the training tower.
TEMPO Tactical Emergency Care (TEC) - One-day course focusing on the life-saving basics.