Hennepin Healthcare provides healthcare services to patients in our neighborhood clinics and medical center in downtown Minneapolis. But our connections to the community take us well beyond the walls of the hospital or clinics.
Community Health Needs Assessment and Implementation Plan - Health Services Plan
As part of the Affordable Care Act, all non-profit hospitals conduct a Community Health Needs Assessment (CHNA) every three years to identify current and emerging top priority health needs in the communities they serve. Hennepin Healthcare’s most recent CHNA was conducted in 2022 and involved reviewing existing Hennepin County and Census quantitative data and gathering qualitative input from a broad range of community leaders, front line workers, and members representing the diverse communities we serve. We used a structured prioritization process involving a diverse group of community participants to review and prioritize the findings. The resulting top priority health needs were:
- Access to health and safety as a human right.
- Comprehensive, equitable education.
- Advocacy and cultural sensitivity.
Two additional needs were identified as desired approached to meeting these needs:
- Partnership to promote healthy communities.
- Building mutual trust.
At the completion of the CHNA, hospitals create a 3-year implementation plan to address identified needs. We worked with internal and community stakeholders to create the 2023 – 2025 CHNA Implementation Plan – Health Services Plan.
The Health Services Plan (HSP) is a unique requirement to Hennepin Healthcare. We meet this requirement, as well as the CHNA requirement, through a unified assessment and implementation plan.
- Download the 2022 Community Health Needs Assessment.
- Download the 2023 – 2025 Community Health Needs Assessment Implementation Plan – Health Services Plan.
If you have comments or questions about this report, or if you would like to request a hard copy, please contact Laura Bohen.
- 2019 Community Health Needs Assessment, 2020 - 2022 Community Health Needs Assessment Implementation Plan – Health Services Plan
- 2016 HCMC Community Health Needs Assessment Report
- 2017-2019 HCMC Community Health Needs Assessment Implementation Plan
- 2017 Health Services Booklet
- 2013-2014 Hennepin Healthcare Inc. Health Services Plan and HCMC Community Health Needs Assessment
- Building vaccine trust in communities of color
- Compass Program
- Cultural Navigators
- Digital Equity Xperts (DEX) program
- GreenLight Twin Cities Invests in Irth to Address Maternal Health Disparities
- Hennepin EMS incorporating video into 911 calls
- 'Next Step' violence prevention program working, Minneapolis officials say
- Clinical associates fill critical staffing needs while building healthcare careers
- Hennepin Healthcare's 2022 health equity report
- Hennepin Healthcare expands health equity department, releases first annual report
- Hennepin Healthcare is one of the first healthcare organizations to meet or exceed rigorous requirements for national health equity accreditation
- Hennepin Healthcare makes its case for more equity, inclusion training
- How Local Health Giants Are Championing Inclusivity
- Talent Garden summer internship program
- Talent Garden youth Summits
- Black Women with Stethoscopes Youth Summit at Hennepin Healthcare
- Event lets Black women to explore career in healthcare
- Lt. Governor Peggy Flanagan attends American Indian Youth with Stethoscopes event - Hennepin Healthcare
- To address health disparities, Hennepin Healthcare turns to local youth | MPR News
- A pilot delivers meals to people with high-risk pregnancies
- Reach Out and Read
- Heals on Wheels provides whole person care
- Hennepin Healthcare’s cultural navigators team
- Hennepin team members connect with Leech Lake Band of Ojibwe
- Minneapolis entrepreneur gets life-changing call
- Some Minnesota hospitals now offer culturally appropriate hair- and skin-care products
- Supply chain initiative helps Kamesha Davenport grow small business
- “What Juneteenth Means to Me”
Closing the loop
The Hennepin Healthcare Foundation exists to guide and encourage the community to support the mission of Hennepin Healthcare to provide the best possible care to every patient, search for new ways to improve care, educate health care providers, and ensure access to healthcare for all. Generosity from the community removes barriers to healthcare access, offers aid and comfort to our patient population, ensures a stable, competent workforce and launches community health innovations. We look forward to helping you create an impact that is meaningful to you.