Medication Therapy Management
Working with an MTM pharmacist can help you feel better, be healthier, and get the results you expect from your medicines.
At Hennepin Healthcare, we offer a service provided by qualified pharmacists designed to help you better understand your medications and reach your health goals. Through this service, you will meet privately with the pharmacist in a clinic setting (not at the pharmacy), where they will review all of your medications with you. Medication Therapy Management (MTM) providers work closely with your doctors and other healthcare providers to make sure your medicines are safe, effective, and providing the best results.
What should I expect at an MTM visit?
What is the role of a medication therapy management pharmacist?
- Review all of your medications and provide education on how to best use them
- Answer any questions you may have regarding your medications, including non-prescription medicines, vitamins, and herbal remedies
- Ex. proper dosage, interactions, side effects, new therapies
- Make sure your prescriptions do not interact with any other medications, including over-the-counters
- Advise on cost-saving alternatives
- Provide guidance on how to simplify a medication schedule
- Work closely with your healthcare team to ensure your health goals are met
What are the benefits of meeting with a medication therapy management pharmacist?
- Better management of health conditions including diabetes, asthma, COPD, high blood pressure, heart disease, high cholesterol, smoking cessation, and other conditions.
- Identification of any medicines you may not need to take or less expensive alternatives, which can lower your healthcare costs.
- Identification of medications you should be taking, recommendations
- Fewer trips to the ED/Urgent Care because your health conditions are more controlled